Out of dual display options, need help/suggestions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tahcoboy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. tahcoboy macrumors newbie

I have an iMac 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo running 10.10 yosemite (cant afford new one, didn't qualify for financing either) Well i had been running mini-dvi to vga until it stopped responding for my second display. Decided to go the usb to vga adapter route but the mouse cursor stops at the edge of my imac display, called their tech support they said their software doesn't support past osx 10.8. Bought different brand that did support 10.10, same problem. Called second companies tech support recommended I buy their usb 3.0 version. Bought usb 3.0 to hdmi adapter still same problem, cursor wont move over to second display. If i move a window over it displays it half on imac and half on other display but cursor wont move over, mirroring option works fine but not in dual display mode. Any suggestions please. Also a friend that works at apple store said my model is considered vintage and they wouldn't be able to work on it either. Also i did check the display options in system preferences and the arrangement is as it should be.

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Get the Mini display port fixed at a third party apple repair place. It seems you have tried the best options available and I looked and there is no way to do it through firewire that I can find.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Are you sure that the Mini-DVI port is dead? Because that's always the best option as it's native right off the GPU.

I've got a similar 2007 iMac running a 1080p Samsung off Mini-DVI to DVI and it works perfectly. I'd try a different adapter first, check for dust etc.

Otherwise, those display link deals do kind of suck, but I have used them on Yosemite successfully. Just make sure in the displays preferences the display is on the right side and at the right height, otherwise the cursor wont move over because it's hitting the "edge" of the display boundary.

[​IMG]