Out of Hard Drive space?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnhaak, Nov 9, 2009.

1. johnhaak macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance for the help. I am new to Mac and just got a MacBook Pro. In the process of transferring music to a new external hard drive, I temporarily stored it on my MBP hard drive. After I transferred it to the new external drive, I deleted the folder, and emptied the trash. Despite this, my finder window tells me I have only 1.5 GB of free space left. What could possibly be wrong? I appreciate any help and suggestions!

John

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sometimes Finder needs a while, until it realizes, that more space is available than before.

Closing a Finder window and re-opening should do the trick. You can also right click on the Macintosh HD icon and select Get Info, to see, if you've gained any space.

Also Disk Utility might be of help.

If all else fails, have a look at Disk Inventory (www.derlien.com), to scan your HDD where all the space is gone.

3. johnhaak thread starter macrumors newbie

I've closed windows and I have restarted, all to no avail. When I set up the computer I put the admin lock type thing on and when I deleted things it told me I'd need admin permission, but then just deleted them from my trash can. Could this be the problem?

I also tried the first aid disk repair, and that did not do anything to clear up space either.

Any more suggestions?

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

You could try zeroing the free space using disk utility, but it isn't intended to fix your problem.