Out of ideas for accessing drives in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by marine610610, Oct 3, 2011.

1. marine610610 macrumors regular

Like many of you I jumped into Lion without waiting to see what kind of bugs it would bring with it. My wife hasn't been able to access her external HDD (Iomega) since the upgrade. Its formatted Mac OSX extended journaled.

The drive shows up in "Disc Utility" but that is the extent of it. Its partitioned into two 250GB halves with one half being dedicated to time machine. The drive works on a SL Mac, however that does me no favors for Time Machine nor allowing my wife to access family pictures on the drag/drop partition. I tried a repair from DU, no dice. Iomega has been useless and I have serious doubts about their plans to address this issue. Are there any work arounds for this or will I be stuck buying a new drive and moving 100 GB worth of photos and videos?

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

What's the Partition Map Scheme on your drive?
    Lion likes a GUID Partition Table.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Have you tried using other connections on the hard drive? If you are presently trying the firewire connections have you tried the USB connections or vise versa. There is another thread where someone was having an issue using the firewire connections and then switched to using the USB connections and the hard drive showed up. After which the user was also able to use the firewire connection again.

4. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

I did indeed try switching between firewire/USB. According to IOMEGA it has something to do with the way Lion addresses the HDD's, and they have been working on a firmware update. Of course they have been working on said update since Lion was released..

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hmm... I have FOUR Iomega drives connected to Macs running Lion. I access them all via Firewire 400 or 800, all have GUID partition tables, and all have 2 or 3 partitions, all OSx extended journaled. They were all used with Snow Leopard and I encountered no issues moving to Lion. Two of the drives are sometimes switched to another MBP that still runs Snow Leopard and there are no issues. The drives have various ages, two are relatively (last 6 months) new, and 2 are more than a year old. Capacity of the drives split between 500gb and 1TB.

6. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Ill play around with the firewire/USB. At this point that seems to be my only option. Its weird, the drive occasionally "mounts" and shows up on the desktop, however clicking on it immediately causes it to beach-ball and eventually close. I took the drive off the iMac and hooked it up to a friends SL MBP, everything worked exactly as it should.

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I also have two 1TB portable Iomega HDs hooked up to my iMac running Lion 10.7.1, using firewire 800, without an issue. I use one HD for Time Machine backup and the other HD I use to store media such as pictures, music, etc.

8. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Its def an issue with Lion. The drive is accessible on a SL machine w/no problems at all. It worked perfectly before I upgraded to Lion, Iomega isn't helping at all. Im hoping someone here figured it out for themselves and shares the solution at some point. I will probably store this drive until I can get everything off of it or Lion gets fixed. This upgrade cost me a lot more than the 30 or so Apple charged with all of the things it broke...

9. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Have you tried mounting it manually? Do:

diskutil list

Find the partition in the list that represents your Iomega drive, then mount it:

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s3

Now my example above, /disk0s3 actually represents the Lion Recovery Partition, but substitute that for your Iomega drive.

Rob

10. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus