Out of Ideas

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, Apr 23, 2007.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

My teacher asked me to do a video for freshmen orienatation. I was told to go around ask people what its like to be a memeber of the community. We got a few people of each, students, prof, faculty etc. I also got shots of the different buildings on campus etc.
    Now it comes down to putting it together and have no idea what do with it. They didn't give me any instructions. My prof. said fast past with lots of "fun" transitions to keep them watching. Thats it.
    I also need music suggestions. I was thinking of doing the song in the Apple retail video; Elvis - rubbernecking remix, but i was thinking of pulling something out of the license free music library we have at the studio.
    Any ideas?
    Josh

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Oh god. "Fun" transitions make for a quickly cheesy production.

I produced a similar video for MSU's orientation, and then the city wanted it to promote East Lansing to people looking to buy a house. I kept it pretty formal, documentary-ish. People giving testimonials about how they love East Lansing, and show lots of b-roll of nice scenes (yay rack focus!).

My advice would be to keep it nice and presentable to all, rather than a fast, hip-hoppy "Yo yo yo wutz up lolz" kind of way.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Quote of the day belongs to you! lol
    Ya i want something decent maybe add it to my future reel.
    Any ideas of music?

4. Trogloxene macrumors regular

If it's a really playful project put some kid music or cartoony sound stuff. Cartoon sound effects with real video would make a cool contrast. Don't just pick some song that you like.

-T

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Cross-fades and straight cuts.

NOTHING else.

J and L-cuts (or whatever those are called -- video follows audio, or vice versa). The odd rack focus.

Out of ideas? Browse YouTube. You'll either get some, or at least be very glad you have more talent than a lot of what you'll see ... :)

6. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

hahahaha, very true

7. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I did a project very similar to this last year. I was told to do a freshman orientation video however instead of getting interviews we did, "Everything you need to know about JV (the school) from A to Z". We entitled it ABC's of JV. This gave the freshman a quick orientation of different class rooms and different parts of the school and their location. We also used a "roving" wheeled camera to walk the halls. Add some good music and it turned out pretty good.

8. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I like that idea better.....
    Mine seems like all interviews... how can i break it down to show some b-roll