Out of memory?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dustman, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Alright, lately, it's been taking my iMac 5-10 minutes to boot up, and then once its booted, i keep getting error windows saying "Out of space for application usage, please quit unused applications and delete files off of the start up volume".. i have 6 gb left on my start up partition, and 30 gigs on the other one? AGH! the only thing i did intrusive was moving my applications folder to a seperate partition.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It wants a bigger chunk of free space on the boot partition for paging/swapping. Is there more stuff you can move over to that other partition?

3. Dustman thread starter macrumors 65816

Dustman

it pops up as soon as i open just one application, (2 including finder). i shouldnt get that from just opening one camino window, or messenger:mac window. and the only other stuff on the boot drive is os x itself. it didnt have any problems before i did my last clean install. nothings changed.

4. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

I have used my iBook G4 with only two or three GB (out of 30) free on its hard drive without the problem you mention, although it's not recommendable to push it that far, if only because things get very slow. But somehow I think it's not entirely impossible that 6 GB is not enough in your situation. Maybe different parameters are used for different systems, based on things like internal memory size, HD size etc. Try to free up more space on the boot partition before making any conclusion. Oh, and I assume you have tried to repair permissions.