out of range?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geordiejohn, Sep 4, 2008.

1. geordiejohn macrumors member

hello i have an Apple macmini 80gb 10.5.4 with leopard and when i try to open certain downloaded games like mystery case files huntsville it comes up with out of range and the only way i can get back to the main screen is to ctrl-alt-escape.
    does anyone know how i can stop this happening please as i would really like to play some of these games?
    someone suggested putting the hz to 60 but that does not work.
    thank you.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Are you referring to a memory out of range exception?

If so, it sounds like one of 2 things:

1. The game/program is trying to make an illegal call to memory, hence accessing memory that is not allotted to the game.
    2. Your Mac may need more memory as it is running low on physical or virtual memory. How much RAM?

3. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

out of range ?

hello thanks for the reply but i do not know if it is a memory thing or not,most of the games are ok,it is just ones like mystery case files huntsville and ravenhearst,someone suggested i put the hz to 60 but that did not work.
    I think i am ok for virtual memory as i have had no warnings.
    Thank you.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

yeah but how much RAM do you have installed?

512MB? 1GB?

5. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

that should be enough. hmmm....

not sure bud, check out the manufacturers web site for the system requirements.

7. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hello. I've seen this problem before. It has nothing to do with RAM. It is caused by the program attempting to put your monitor into a resolution it doesn't support. If it's possible to reconfigure the default resolution without taking the computer full-screen, which causes the issue, this will fix the problem.

9. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

out of range ?

thank you,i can go to system preferences and change the resolution before opening the game but how do i stop the game going to full screen before opening it?

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is entirely dependent on the game(s) in question. Many support configuring graphics parameters by holding down Alt/Option at startup - you might want to give this a try.

11. geordiejohn thread starter macrumors member

out of range ?

ok thank you,i have installed paralles now and i am playing the all games as they should be played.

12. sfatula macrumors newbie

i also cannot run this game on a Mini, one of them has 4GB ram, the other has 2GB ram. Runs fine on a Macbook PRO.

It is definitely graphics mode related. I am sure the Mini has a different graphics "board".

Did anyone ever get it to run full screen mode via some trick?