Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlm22b

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Indiana
I don't know what's going on. My MBP(Penryn March 14th) has been very sluggish lately. I first noticed it late last week. The login screen with the apple wouldn't go through, the spinning thing(sorry for my n00bness) just kept going round and round. Held the power button to cut it off and booted it back up. Went through but then it hung on the blue screen between the apple screen and the login screen for a while. My friend told me to repair the disk permissions, I tried that but it has still done the same thing several times.

I also see the beachball quite a lot. Twice this morning when waking from sleep. These were some pretty good hangs too. Everything locked up. And I had to just wait, one was for about 2 minutes the other I got frustrated and held the power button.

I never max the processor. It's never been past 40% usages says iStat Pro. More than a gig of RAM is always available. I don't do anything intense. Probably the most intense thing was Time Machine backing up or was watching Friends Season 4 Disc 1 the other day on here, that's the only time something has ever been in the superdrive. Instant messaging and web surfing are my only usual activities. With mail going in the background and the occasional iTunes playing via speakers.

I've had 3 Kernel Panics, 2 related to bluetooth. One I'm not sure what caused it. This is my 2nd MBP too, all my info was transferred from the first one, which had the fan buzz, if that can help identify a problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry for any incoherence, I wrote this on the fly.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
1. Back up your data so you don't lose it if the worst case happens and the machine quits working.

2. Call Apple to get it replaced or fixed. If you are adventurous you could reformat the disk and do a clean install of leopard to see if that fixes your problem..

Good luck but make sure you are backed up before turning the machine in to
Apple to be fixed as they will most likely wipe the disk before you get it back.

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
Agreed, backup your data, bring it into the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store to see if they'll exchange it. You shouldn't be sitting there going through these problems after dropping cash like that for a computer that's faulty like this.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
LOL I thought this was going to be another warpped MBP thread LOL

.. But any kernel panics on a new machine are deffently not good, take it back and demand a replacment, its too new to require any repairs. You probably just got a lemon.

rlm22b

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Indiana
Thanks everyone for the replies thus far.

Should I do a Time Machine backup or a Manual backup? If they give me a new one, would I be able to restore everything from a Time Machine Backup?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I would do whichever backup method you're used to and know works. Now is not the time to experiment with time machine if you've never used it.

a4abt

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Miami
I tried Time Machine three weeks ago and love it. I highly suggest using it. Much easier than a manual backup.

earthbound

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
The long start up happened to me once too. My MBP was taking a long time at start up and just wouldn't load to the desktop. Once I unplugged my USB device (printer) which I had never leave plugged before this one time, my MBP loads up fine again. Hopefully this helps a little bit.

rlm22b

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Indiana
I'm just wondering if I wipe my HD will I be able to put all my info from this period onto the reinstallation of Leopard?

I called Apple Care, he had me do the verify/repair disk permissions again and had me reset the Power Settings(i think that's what it's called. taking the battery out, holding power etc) Said to call back if I have anymore issues. It lagged a tad moving between apps this morning, I had quite a few Firefox tabs open however. It starts up quick since yesterday though.

rlm22b

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Indiana
If you do time machine, when you do the initial start up and configuration, you can choose to migrate from a time machine backup.

K that's good to know.

It hung three times on three diff. boot ups when attemptied to start it up a few minutes ago. I'm going to call Applecare again tonight, I think they said the next plan of action is to reinstall Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.