Out of Stanby issues and EXT. Monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by helios12, Aug 2, 2008.

1. helios12 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

The Backstory- I bought my MBP back in Jan, and for the first month it ran beautifully. Then I started using some more intensive applications, and I noticed the base of the MBP (towards the monitor) was getting hot. I have had many PC laptops, so I knew they can sometimes get hot.

Then in the third month, 4times out of 10, if i put it to sleep, and then opened it up again, the screen literally went crazy! parts of it would be mixed with colours, other parts would flicker. Also at this point the mbp would run hot regardless of what i was running.

I then purchased my new dell 2408 monitor, and hooked this up. and 8 times out of 10, when i disconnected it, the same issue would occur. This annoyed my to no end, as I had to do a forced shutdown,loosing alot of open files!!

It got to the point where even moving the mbp monitor caused the screen to flicker, and me nearly having a heart attack. I took it to the apple store, and they replaced the backplate of the monitor, saying it was a loose video connector.

I got it back, and no issues watsoever, for a week. Now they have started again. What is going on?. I want to go to apple with as much knowledge, so that they don't trick me into thinking I just need the backplate of the monitor fixing :(

For reference - I have the 2.4GHz MBP (the one with 256MB 8600M gt card)
    and am running leopard with all the updates and 2GB of apple supplied RAM.

Edit - while im posting a thread - I thought I may as well show all faults with my mbp - the battery has become rubbish as well :( , It sometimes shows 50% charge and then within 5 minutes it drops to 10%. Coconutbattery says it current capacity is 53%, and apple info says " Health Information:
    Cycle count: 256
    Condition: Check battery"

Is this normal. Damn I thought my apple choice in laptops would be a good one :(

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I'm no expert but it sounds like your battery and GPU are screwed.. you can try calibrating your battery and see if that helps but i'd take the machine straight back to apple and tell them exactly what you've said here. They aren't going to blame it on the same issue twice. The simple fact that they've tried this and it didn't work will cause them to search for another issue..

3. helios12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, 4 that... Really hope they can fix it for good, as I can't afford (time) to have it keep going in for repairs!