All iPads Out Of Stock Exchange

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nanogirl21, Nov 10, 2013.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

If I try to exchange a iPad within the 14 day period window, but the item I would like to exchange my iPad for is out of stock… how does apple handle this? Do they honor those 14 days when the device IS in stock again? Are you just **** out of luck? Not sure how the process works at an official Apple Store.

Would like to start with an iPad 64GB but if it is too small I would like to return for 128GB, but worried they will be out of stock. (talking about new unreleased iPad mini)

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

If it's because you change your mind, I think you'll have to get a refund and then purchase a replacement when it comes into stock

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Just get a full refund, and buy what you "think" you want.

4. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Is it just me or do people keep turning a voluntary 14-day return policy into a try-before-you-buy service? :rolleyes:

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

A 14 day return is a try before you buy service. Otherwise, it has no purpose.

6. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

I bought my Nov 2 online at Apple store for in store pick-up. I have until Jan 7 to return according to my online receipt.

7. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Its purpose is to provide people who have purchased one and not opened it to return it.

Or to allow a quick replacement if the product is faulty or damaged.

How can it be a try-before-you-buy service if you buy before you try?

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That may be its purpose in your mind, but Apple's return policy states:

"We understand, however, that sometimes a product may not be what you expected it to be. In that unlikely event, we invite you to review the following terms related to returning a product."

The details of the policy list what may and not be returned, mostly gift cards and open software. It does not exclude open boxes as you suggest or returns for any reason other than the item being defective. By Apple's policy explicitly stating it understands if a product is "not what you expect it to be" that returns just because you don't like the item are perfectly acceptable.

Serial returners and return policy abusers are one thing, but someone who returns an item b/c they don't like it, the color, the storage size, whatever, is not a defacto immoral slob. It's perfectly legitimate to return items you don't like or decide is too much or little for your needs.

9. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Have you not read the text you quoted? "We understand, however, that sometimes a product may not be what you expected it to be."

This means that the core intent of the returns policy is to help customers who have purchased something they thought was something else.

Realising you can live with another storage capacity is not the same as buying a product that is different to what you expected it to be.

10. Londoncity macrumors member

I was encouraged by the Apple store staff to try out the Air and then return if I decided I preferred the mini. Which is exactly what I did. I'm sure it'll be flagged up somewhere if somebody abuses this policy and buys/returns multiple items.

11. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Why does it bother you so much? Are you personally affected by thee people returning their opened products?

If I opened a store and had a 14-day return policy like Apple's, I wouldn't cry foul when someone returns something within 14 days.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. There is ZERO way you can narrowly interpret Apple's open ended statement that way as it lists very definite exceptions, none of which are what you claim them to be. Apple's policy, within the confines of it's explicitly stated exceptions, is that it wants the customer to be happy with it's purchase. Period. Whatever is not up to the customer's expectation is left to the customer, be it buyer's remorse for not buying bigger, smaller, white, gray, or even that he or she bought on impulse and realized he or she couldn't afford or didn't need it. It's what's called a "no questions asked return policy." Maybe those don't exist in the U.K., but they are more common than not among big retailers in the U.S.

13. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Honest mistakes? Grandma buys Jimmy an iPod when he wanted an iPad?

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's not their policy to extend a return window past 14 days just because they don't have an item in stock. Having said that, Apple Store managers have the power to do pretty much anything, but it's on a case-by-case basis, so IMO you really can't count on it.

Like others have mentioned, Apple Store purchases made on/after November 1st have a return window that goes until January 7th, 2014. But IMO it may still be a crapshoot that they will have adequate stock by then.