Out of storage, but why??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaylabenedict, Mar 21, 2015.

1. kaylabenedict macrumors newbie

Please help. I have been trying to figure this out for weeks now.

My macbook pro says I am out of storage space and that I have 164 GB of movies but I cannot find any movies! I ran disk inventory X and attached the results here.

Thank you!

2. RandomAccessMem macrumors newbie

kaylaybenedict, you seem to have forgotten to attach results. Also, did you check for movies (videos) in 'All My Files' in finder? It may be more accurately defined as videos. I was confused by this at first as well.

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Please download an app called Diskwave (http://diskwave.barthe.ph). It will show each and every folder and file with the exact size. It will help to identify huge files.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

5. kaylabenedict thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try to attach again - not sure why the images don't appear.

Yes, trust me, I've looked everywhere

Attached Files:

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'd recommend you to use OmniDiskSweeper instead and look through the largest places.

7. me22 macrumors newbie

The movies are in your iPhoto Library.

In iPhoto, right click on the sidebar, make a new smart album and there, set the criteria to: Photo > Is > Movie.

In that smart album, delete the ones you don't need, and then make sure to empty the iPhoto Trash.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You probably have made a ton of movies with your camera. They need a lot of space. Delete what you don't need or archive them on an external drive.
    You can also reencode them to save space as the camera encodes the movies very inefficiently. If you just want to save 720p movies to watch in a few years but not take so much space.
    Get Handbrake and rencode them with
    preset slow or slower
    Profile: high
    Level: 5.0
    and set constant quality with RF 23 for good quality and 26 for smaller size with still good watchable quality.
    That takes a while but it will shrink the videos considerably. Watching them on a TV with family and friends, you won't be able to tell the difference unless you know exactly what to look for.