Out of storage space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boazjoe, Jan 30, 2013.

1. boazjoe macrumors member

I have an issue that began after upgrading to Mt Lion and not sure which forum to post it in, but since it involves my MBP I thought I would start here. Demigod feel free to move if appropriate.

I have a 2007 MBP, 2.4ghz CD2, 4gb ram, 500gb HDD and the problem is thus. I leave my computer on 24/7 and always have, but since updating to ML, I have had a mysterious loss of HDD space. Several times I have had about 99gb left and then over a series of days, even if computer not used that much, it will go to zero. I will be told that the computer needs to stop programs or whatever to free up space. When I get info for the HDD, it says I am out of space. I have no idea where that space went nor what is on it. When I restart the machine, that space, or most of it, is mysteriously back and I go on my way for a few more days.

This most recent time I began with over 90 gb free space. When I came in from work this am, I was out of space and had to restart. Now I only have 76gb. Where did it go and is there anything I can do to fix it?

One other detail, I have a rather slow wireless connection to the internet. Downloading 99gb of info would take about a month - literally.
    Thanks

2. Kinsella macrumors newbie

Sounds like this has something to do with ML's use of local Time Machine backups. Have a search of the forum and I think you'll come up with a good few threads about the issue.

3. boazjoe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will try that. Honestly did not know where to begin and "Yes" i use TM with a TC connected over local (home) wireless network.
    :D