Out of the blue: New Nintendo console

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well the next generation kicks off soon - Nintendo are to unveil their next home console either at or before E3.

http://kotaku.com/#!5792165/new-nintendo-console-debuting-at-e3-launching-in-2012-more-powerful-than-xbox-360-and-ps3

And the only word we have so far is that it'll be more powerful than a PS3 or Xbox (which is agiven).

----
    I can wait though. The Wii had some absolute gems and lots of terrible games. If they give a bit of love back to the core gamer group then all will be forgiven.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Rather surprised...although Nintendo is really the only one I see pushing for new hardware. Considering how outdated the Wii is, and while there are things that could make the PS3 and Xbox 360 looks bad, MS and Sony don't have a real reason to upgrade more so since they both just put out there fancy motion controllers.

Hopefully this Wii HD uses all the old Wii controllers, upscales all Wii games and now developers program Wii games for better graphics, but all the games still play on the old Wii. That would be ideal for a Wii 1.5

3. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Nintendo better find some iTunes type of market solution. All my virtual console games trapped in a bottle (my original Wii) with no guarantee as to if I will be able to move my gaming library to this supposed announced console.

Grr... :confused:

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Microsoft and Sony already have consoles that are made to last. I bet they are both hoping for at least ten years of use on the PS3 and XBOX 360. The Wii however is way out of date. This is surprising because it was way out the the blue but I was expecting to hear something this year at E3.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Rule #1 of video game rumors, never believe a word of what Craptaku says. Not only is their EIC a major asshat they continually spew out crap for hits rather than quality.

I don't think its a far fetched idea that Nintendo will release a new console at E3, they really aren't going out on a limb there. However until a reputable source picks up on this I'd take it with a grain of salt.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/15/rumor-wii-2-codenamed-project-cafe-controller-includes-built-i/
    Some more bits n pieces -

Codenamed Cafe.
    Apparently the controller has a touchscreen built in (nooooo, not more touchscreens in gaming :mad:).

I really hope it can upscale Wii games properly, like actually up the resolution and not just stretch the image. Polygons would remain sharp but textures+UI graphics would be stretched. I'd run through Twilight Princess, Brawl, Galaxy 1 and 2 all over again if they do that.

7. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I've completely lost my interest in Nintendo's home consoles (DS and 3DS are great though). I can't see them creating anything special this time, except a more powerful Wii, and yet another failed attempt at online gaming with friend codes. I seriously hope E3 proves me wrong and it's gonna be amazing, but I don't see it happening :( I'm also hoping that we don't see or hear about a PS4 or Xbox 720 anytime soon, there's plenty of juice left in those consoles. Although if there's a new model of PS3 with a much faster BD drive I might consider upgrading :)

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

But they've already sorted out friend codes with the 3DS. One code to rule them all.

And not all their online features were poor. Mario Kart was great with it's never ending drop in-out gameplay, and Brawl was good at dishing out new maps and replay vids every day. It's just the rest that sucked :p (Goldeneye was solid, too)

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My Thoughts....

Nintendo are in a curious position.

1. Despite having the most inferior hardware, they lead the pack

2. Attach rate is the lowest of all hardware manufacturers, meaning it's not the glowing beacon or money spinner 'quality' 3rd party devs need to be in a position to bother releasing AAA games. Net result is some great first party titles (though hardly an abundance) and a huge wave of utter diatribe from 3rd parties.

3. Wii was outdated graphically from day one. However the lack of HDTV's in homes bought them a few years. The fact nearly every tv sold now can support HDTV is making the already antiquated SD graphics - almost Archaic. Heck your smartphone is pushing out a higher res graphics than the wii.

4. So despite it's flaws it continues to sell? But we've all seen Nintendo's revenue stream from the Wii plunge and so have the Shareholders. Pleasing them is a lot harder than the 'granny' picking up Wii Vacuming 64 from Asda (Wallmart) on special offer for $9.99 - adding yet another turkey to little Katies trauma catalogue (all of which she will receive therapy for in the years to follow).

5. Accepting finally that offering the best power is what Wii developers want in order to drive forward and at least offer better 3rd party quality titles, it occurs to them that if they do not act now, in 2-3 years time when the PS4 & next Xbox are released - their hardware will be outdated next to their rivals again. Given the choice in the future of 3 hardware manufacturers offering similar hardware and touchy wonky feely goody peripherals, being the least powerful is going to be a major hindrance.

6. In order to avoid this 3 tier battle for power Nintendo realize they must take the lead now. Using their existing (but diminishing fortune wise lead) by building up a respectable user base with Wii 2, 18-24 months head start before it's rivals.

7. E3 2011 Wii HD announced. More powerful than Xbox or PS3 (we should hope so, they are after all half a decade old) and launching Holiday 2011 - Spring 2012. (given the 3DS's launch library - don't expect any big name titles for launch (even Mario)). Nintendo will hopefully add backwards compatabilty and the ability to upscale graphically Wii Games (that should at least buy them time between Launch title rubbish, and the first rush proper of Wii 2 titles).