Out of the box, how much SSD is used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lcseds, Aug 25, 2011.

1. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Anyone looked to see what space was available on the SSD with a new, out of the box system? I am trying to plan on living with the 128 SSD and wanted to find out how much I lose with Lion, any restore data, and iLife loaded.

2. Mandork macrumors member

3. Nioxic macrumors regular

My 256GB has 251 avaliable :)

I think thats very decent!

(thats what it says in the "about" thing in the top right corner -> then under harddrive storage thing..

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Actually 120GB is the base unformatted capacity of the 128GB drive. I think OS X and the installed software use up about 14GB, so you'll have about 106GB for your other applications and data. The 256GB drive has a base unformatted capacity of about 250GB, so you would have 236GB free.

5. Nioxic macrumors regular

You Sir, owe me 14GB space! :(

6. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

:confused::confused::confused: :p

7. KPOM macrumors G5

All modern SSDs set aside a certain amount of space called "overprovisioning". So even though there may technically be 256GB of flash memory, 5-7GB of it is inaccessible to the operating system. The SSD's controller moves data around in its spare time and uses that space when it needs to. The reason it does is that SSDs can only be written to a finite number of times (about 5000) before they wear out. If the controller detects that one SSD cell gets written to a lot, and another one doesn't get written to at all, it will move the data around so that the drive wears out evenly.

I'm grossly oversimplifying it, but that's what's going on. It helps ensure that the drive lasts as long as your computer.

Since the 256GB drive starts with 250GB, and OS X and the preinstalled applications take up 14GB, that means that out of the box the 256GB models have 236GB free.

8. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

ah. thanks :D

9. lcseds thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That's nice and slim. 14GB is nice for the OS and iLife.