Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I've read many posts/blogs joking about the name of OSX 10.9.

If I were to name the next Mac OS, it'll be simply OS X 9. After all, X already means "10".

And after the 2013 Mac OS, the one released in 2014 could be even more simple and minimal in the name such as OS 10? Like the equally simple names of iOS 5/6/7..

Cannot get it why people focus on the cat name so much. But hey again, I'm over-thinking the name myself :)

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If I were to name the next Mac OS, it'll be simply OS X 9. After all, X already means "10".
OS X is the brand name of the Operating System, and yes, you're right that the X is a Roman numeral. However, when discussing particular versions, the formal versioning is "10.x.y", where 10 represents the OS's place in the succession from previous "Classic" Mac OSes, such 7, 8 and 9; x represents the OS X major release number, which also has a "cat" brand name; and y is the point release for updates.

So the next OS version will be OS X, version 10.9 (.0). It will also have a cat brand name.

Apple did somewhat race through the numbers in the Classic days, in order to get to 9 before releasing 10 (X). It's conceivable that after 9, they may revise or alter the numbering strategy in some way. They might even possibly call it OS X, version 11.1.0…!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.