Out of "Touch" - what can I do with 1G iTouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by miniguu, Feb 15, 2011.

1. miniguu macrumors regular

As the title states, I have a 8GB first gen iPod Touch. It was a gift and I use it occasionally. Mostly to surf the web while I was hospitalized for a bit. I don't really keep abreast of the happenings in the iPod realm, but I know that many apps now are not backwards compatible with the 1G model.

My question -- is there anything I can do besides just use apps that don't require iOS (or whatever it is), or buy a new one (not in the cards right now).

It just kinda blows to want to download X free app or Y game and then find out that I can't actually use it.

Thanks

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

The hardware in the iPod Touch has changed quite a bit since 1G. It only has 128mb of Ram and a slower CPU/GPU. Besides buying a 4G model there's not much you can do.

3. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Not much really, Could use it just as the media device, just store music and videos and podcasts on there. not going to be able to use many apps though, its unfortunate but it is Apples way of saying "Right, time for you to give us some more of your hard earned money"

4. Drucifer macrumors regular

The wife and I still have a 1st Gen which she uses when she goes to the gym to work out. She also has a 32GB 3rd Gen but she uses the 1st Gen in the event that it drops out of her pocket while working out. I'm now using a 32GB 4th Gen. I also picked up a cheap 2nd Gen for my 2 year old daughter so she can watch her kids shows, play kid learning games, and we also load it with kids music she enjoys... we would have used the 1st Gen for this purpose but it doesn't have a built in speaker. :(

By the way, although there are more and more games coming out that require the new devices with the improved RAM there are still lots of games that run fine on the older devices. However, I must admit going from a 1st Gen to a 3rd or 4th Gen is a huge leap. If there are games, applications, or features on the new devices that you think you would get a lot of use out of the best option would probably be to upgrade assuming you have some extra cash to spend.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not much really. My mother still has a 16gb 1st gen iPod touch, as well as a new 32gb 4th gen. It's like taking a huge step back in time with the first gen. Can't fault it for web browsing and MP3 playing but if you want to run apps you're going to have to upgrade.

6. MacStu09 macrumors regular

There's plenty to do with a first gen. I have both 1st and 4th and the only difference after I jailbroke my 1st gen, is a lack of mic/speaker/camera. But the speaker doesn't matter for apps since you can just plug in headphones.

Trust me, jailbreak the 1st gen, and have fun with it. There's so much you can do with it. Just do it, and see all the new features that are possible. I use my 1st gen more than my 4th, because its battery is surprisingly better. (not saying all are like that, apparently mine just has a good battery). I use it for music, all kinds of apps, as a wireless mouse/keyboard for my living room media center, a virtual remote for my desktop, and the multitask tool I'm using is way better than the crap "multitask" is OS4. But yeah, there's plenty of uses. I even use mine to hook up to my tv to play movies from free movie sites that use quicktime. (Just bought a $4 cable off ebay and some tools from cydia).

7. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

Just use it as a dedicated mp3 player for your car or bedside table. That way you can just focus on the music and not worry about putting apps and videos on it for the most part. I have an 80gb ipod classic that is probably going to be relegated to the same duty, music only, and maybe make a semi-permanent mounting kit in my truck. I don't know if it will work, but if you have a wifi network in your house, even a simple set of computer speakers would make it a pretty solid clock radio/pandora player.

Just thinking out loud.

8. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Netflix app works on it as well as many other apps. It still plays audio and video...rite? ;)

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Worse comes to worse, sell it and put the money towards something else. Or you know, donate it to me. :)

10. NelsonB macrumors member

NelsonB

all this talk has me breaking out my old 1st gen itouch :) she served me well but i had to upgrade to the 4th gen

11. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Am I missing something? There are still thousands upon thousands of apps that work on the first gen touch. I'm still on the original iPhone, and although the newer games and streaming apps aren't compatible, I still have plenty of apps I frequently use on there (accessing my Dropbox files via the Goodreader app, etc.) when my iPad isn't handy.

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

this,
    btw im loving my 1st gen ipod touch!

so much possibilities after jailbreaking!