Out of Warranty iPhone 5 Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dominick624, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Dominick624 macrumors regular

Hi all, I was just wondering...

I have a 32gb iPhone 5 from launch day and I tried replacing the battery...

Unfortunately I think that I may have damaged something in the process since the battery percentage does not change and the phone reboots every few minutes of use.

Restoring as new did not help, and putting the original did not either.

I've tried the original battery, a cheap amazon battery, and an iFixIt battery. They all result in the same issues.

Anyway, my iPhone is out of warranty and I was just wondering if I paid the $269 would I be able to receive a 16gb iPhone 5S as a replacement?

Since technically, I'm not under the warranty.

Aside from that does anyone have any suggestions before I go and replace the phone?

iBackUpBot's logging tool says:
    Could not get event from temperature service

Could not get value for gas gauge

Unable to lookup battery voltage

And I get a bunch of panic.plists

2. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

It's unlikely they'd upgrade you to a 5S. They would probably get you a refurb 5 if you don't tell them you tried replacing the battery. They'd only get you a 5S if they don't have any 5's in stock.

3. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

They give you your exact same model (refurbed) for the $269 replacement fee, but I'm not sure you'd qualify for that if they see that you've opened it.

4. blarivee macrumors 6502

As others have mentioned, you will only get OOW replacement of the same model. You may have shorted out/damage the board with the replacement battery.

5. Dominick624 thread starter macrumors regular

I've read that opening it doesn't matter since it's out of warranty anyway.

Is this true? Even though I've opened it, will I still be able to buy an out of warranty replacement for the $269?

And... is there a way to fix the board if I actually did shorten it out?

6. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's true. "An iPhone that is inoperable due to unauthorized modifications... is ineligible for Out of Warranty Service."

No. Your best bet is to take it in, don't mention that you opened it, and hope for the best.

7. Dominick624 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean the phone works and is operable, just has the restart issue from time to time and the battery percentage is stuck.

If I do take it in, should I put the original battery back, or does it not matter?

8. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Okay, you can play a semantics game but the bottom line is you opened it and now it doesn't work properly to the point you need it replaced.

You should put the original battery in just in case. If they do open it and see an aftermarket battery, you'll be sent on your way.

9. blarivee macrumors 6502

The problem is the battery and adhesive used to attach the battery are tamper evident. If you pry the battery out it will have marks on the side of the battery. If you cut the adhesive, you would have put a different one, unless you managed to get the exact same adhesive as original. Your best bet is like the above poster said, put your original in and pray for the best.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP This is meant to helpful next time you find yourself in a similar situation (and you may have done this and not mentioned it). It wasn't that far out of warranty and there are known iPhone 5 battery issues. Next time even though it's out of warranty take any problematic iDevice to a Genius and see what happens. They are often very generous.

11. Azzin macrumors 68040

Good advice.

I just had the battery replaced F.O.C on my launch day i5 by my local Apple Store (UK).

He initially asked for £50, but quickly acknowledged that wasn't acceptable on a 16 month old, £629 iPhone. :D