Out of Warranty Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vlug, Oct 24, 2010.

1. vlug macrumors 6502

Smashed my iPhone 4 last night, dropped it in a bar and the back glass has shattered.

The phone is still working find its just the back glass but just wondering if anyone knows the answers to these questions.

I rang Apple and they said take it to my nearest store and they would replace it for £139.

However I also asked if they could just replace the Glass and they said only a genius can give you the answer and prices to that.

I dont really want to take my phone in and get a straight swap when I have all my SHSH blobs backed up for Jailbreaking etc through Cydia and my Apps are linked to this device ID and some devs dont do transfers. I was hoping then can just replace the glass on site??

Or would they have to send my phone away? I am gonna have to restore so they don't moan about it being Jailbroken.

Would the replacement be Jailbreakable? not been on this site in weeks so dont know what the latest firmware is we can break. Also I bought mine sim free so I am guessing it will be unlocked to any network?

Any ideas on the above appreciated please. Thanks

2. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

They shouldn't send the phone away they do practically all their fixes/replacements in store. If you do get a new iPhone that is not on 4.0 you will loose all your SHSH blobs.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

In the US, the Genius Bar can replace the back glass for US$29 while you wait.

4. Charadis macrumors 6502a

This is accurate. If you must replace the entire phone, a couple jailbreak options are available for the latest firmware as of this writing (iOS4.1). Just look up limera1n or greenpois0n. You should only have to replace the back at an Apple store, but I do know what the policy is for UK. Sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident and good luck.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

5. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I know it's not exactly $29 but try here:

http://www.ukipodrepairs.co.uk/fix_my_ipod/parts/4GiPhone

Personally I don't think £45 is bad considering the hassle it's going to save you, I've used them several times now; on the last occasion they replaced the LCD in my Sister's 3G for a fraction of what Apple were going to charge. As a company I can't fault them, there service is excellent, turnaround time fast and ultimately very good value.

P.S. I'm not affilliated with them in any way, shape or form, just a very satisfied customer...to the point that I'd call myself more of a fan!

6. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Thats probably not a good option if he wants to keep his warranty incase it breaks for another reason.

7. MST macrumors 6502

MST

^ Then I guess it comes down to how much he values his warranty, you can't have it both ways.

8. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

Well guys long story short, after waiting an eternity in the shop (nearly 2hrs) after my Genius appointment booked online disappeared from their calender and then having to run out of the shop at 5pm to pick my car keys up from having a Valet because they were closing.

I ran back to the Apple shop and the Apple Genius who made me wait so long told me they didnt have the back in stock for a 32GB only the 16GB :( and yes it would have cost £25

The genius could see I was out of breath and took pity on me knowing I had to drive to another city where there was an Apple store and he replaced the phone for FREE!!! :D He said he only did this because they didnt have the stock, I would have had to travel 40 miles back there when they did and he made me wait so long! Bless him. So I got a new iPhone 4 with 4.1 installed on it.

2hr wait worth while for free after my only stupid drunken accident.

Just need to Jailbreak it now and see what Cydia apps will transfer to a new device ID.