Out of Warranty, Significant Battery Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Surrix, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Surrix macrumors regular

Hey guys,

The battery in my MacBook Pro has only 50 cycles on it, but it is down to 25% of its original full charge capacity. From what I've seen, 25% health on 50 cycles is an extreme case of what many with faulty batteries have experienced.

Now, the problems:
    -Because I was in Africa at the time, I forgot to buy AppleCare on my Early 2008 MacBook Pro. It expired in March.
    -The battery actually killed itself: one day, it died when it was still reporting around 20% capacity and wouldn't turn back on until plugged in. When it did, it said it only had 3% left. Ever since then, the battery's been awful. I believe it "deep discharged" itself, damaging it?
    -This issue happened in February before the warranty expired.
    -I already called Apple once and they said there was nothing they could do for me.

Now, the questions:
    -Are there battery logs or is there any other way to prove that the battery went to hell during the warranty period?
    -Is there another way to convince them that the battery's remaining health is extraordinarily low for 50 cycles?

Basically, I just need advice for what route to pursue next.

Thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Batteries are only covered for 1 year or 300 charge cycles, whichever comes first, regardless of AppleCare. You will not be able to get a replacement, period. There are no battery logs.

Your next course of action is to buy a new battery. These cost around $100.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Who have you talked at Apple to?

Have you got a store nearby?

I don't know, if the battery is only covered by the Apple Care Protection Plan, but you should give it one or two more tries.

As far as I can remember some members on this and other forums had the fortune to get their faulty batteries replaced, even outside of warranty.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I heard otherwise, but when that seems to be the case, then those posters had some luck as it seems.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

These people had AppleCare and were extremely lucky to have nice AppleCare reps.

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Where are you living. In Europe we have consumer laws that take into account factory defaults up to 3 years after purchase. It really sounds like you had a bad battery, then again how you use it and in what environment also have an impact on the condition of the battery. If you remember there were many articles regarding faulty batteries and even exploding ones a time ago. A battery is actually quite high tech and can be faulty.

But last, a battery is replaceable and I would think it just died. Such is the life of a battery. Buy a new battery.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Go buy a new battery. I don't know what else to tell you.

8. Surrix thread starter macrumors regular

Well that doesn't sound good.

I know how to care for lithium ion batteries, as I have 4 laptops (3 non-Apple, all older than this one) which still have like-new battery life. :\

I'm living in the States, so no luck on that front.

I talked to a random tech in the battery department on the phone.

I could try the Apple Store is there's a legitimate chance they'll help me out. I guess that's really the question though. It doesn't sound like there is. :(

9. Surrix thread starter macrumors regular

So the resolution to this problem was my American Express Extended Warranty. Called up AmEx and they helped me replace the battery with no hassle.

Just poastan' the resolution. It may be helpful to others who forget, like I did, that if they bought with Amex, they have more options.