Out of Warrenty coverage for defects.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RedDragon870503, Oct 23, 2008.

1. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

I'll be brief.

I have a iPod Touch I bought on launch day. Absolutely love it. Primarily used as a internet device. One day the WiFi became "greyed out". Apparently a semi-common issue, with no solution. The unit is a few weeks out of Apple Care.

This is very clearly an example of a defective device. The unit is still scratch less, even on the back! As a share holder, I am not usually a fan of no questions asked replacements. But this seems so odd. It is TEN days out of warranty!

Customer service said they couldn't do anything but didn't rule out the possibility of a Genius Bar replacing it.

What are my chances of getting a new unit, before I drive 2 hours to my nearest Apple Store?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Your chances are low. They'll be able to replace it for a fee, but you're out of warranty. 10 days or 100 days, it's gone. If it was such a concern, you should have purchased AppleCare. Seeing as the warranty only covers defects, what's the point of having an extended option if they'd replace it for free without it?

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Is it possible that this happened within warranty and you just didn't notice?!

4. RedDragon870503 thread starter macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

No. It happened EXACTLY two days out of warranty. I called right away.

Howeeevver... Those warranties dates are not a perfect science right? Would that be a legitimate argument to bring up to a Genius. The nearest Apple store is 2 hours away and I am a busy student.

Thoughts?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes they are. They get entered into the system once purchased or when they arrive (assuming that they're shipped). You get 365 days: no more, no less.

6. RedDragon870503 thread starter macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

The data is still submitted once you purchase it. If you buy a mac at Best Buy, you can check your warranty status as soon as you have the chance. And if the servers are slow and don't update, the data with your purchase date is still submitted at a later time.

8. RedDragon870503 thread starter macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Well. Dang. Thanks for your knowledge. Going to go with the argument that the item was latently defective with a hardware defect that manifested itself prior to the expireation of the warrenty.

Unlikely that I'll get a replacement touch. Oh well. Probably pick up a 2G while Im there. Oh how I love to hate you :apple: !

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Just so you know, they'll replace it for a fee. I'd guess that it would be about 100 usd. You'd get a new device as your old one gets shipped off to repairs/refurb store. Keep that in mind if you're not looking to spend lots of money. I wouldn't be shocked if they replaced it for free; most of the time I watch people try to get out-of-warranty iPods replaced they have to pay, but there are some occasions where its a free swap.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is always the out of warranty repair/replacement service.

11. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Do I detect a pattern emerging? :D

12. RedDragon870503 thread starter macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Doesn't take a rocket scientist. ;)

I am heading to the Apple Store on Sunday regardless. To interested parties, I'll let you know the outcome. I can be very persuasive.

I got a new iPod after I dropped it in a puddle a few years back, I even did this by telling the truth. ;)

13. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

so can i "what do u mean im not supposed to drop my macbook!?!?!?!?!??!"

came in w/ broken 5200rpm hard drve left with free 7200rpm

i also had them vacuum the sand out of my old ipod now THAT i didnt think i culd pull off

14. RedDragon870503 thread starter macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Just got back from the Apple:

Replaced for free. No hassle, nice genius, positive experience. Exactly why I love Apple. He basically said that because it was close enough to the warranty date that it justified a free replacement.

Very happy about it. Will continue to buy iPods for the foreseeable future (not that not getting a free iPod out of warranty would have changed that).

Anyway, that's my just so you know story!

15. Funplex macrumors regular

Was it a new one or a refurb?

16. RedDragon870503 thread starter macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503