Out with the old, in with the new....(MM Vs iMac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KettyKrueger, Mar 24, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advise really.

I need to sell my iMac to create some space for my growing family. Currently have the base-model Alu iMac.

Spec:

2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR667Mhz ram
    250 SATA HDD 7200 rpm
    ATI Radeon 2400XT

I think they are correct, it's the lowest of low base aluminium iMacs, with upgraded ram.

I'm thinking of getting the MM, how would my iMac compare to the uber-version (2.0, 4GB, 320GB, 9400M 256MB)?

My unscientific evaluation:

The processor speed is the same (unsure about cache though)
    Ram would be the same GB but faster on the MM
    Hard drive would be bigger on the MM but would run slower at 5400 rpm
    Video - after reading about the 9400M capared to other GPUs, I've come to the conclusion that although the 2400XT is dedicated, the 9400M runs roughly the same, they outperform each other at various tasks, fair to say that?

So, what else am I missing, any other reasons I should/shouldn't go for the MM?

Thanks in advance.

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Apart from the hard drive, I think that the mini would be a genuine upgrade.

3. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

That's what I'm thinking/hoping too!

It all comes down to the nitty gritty, such as the cache, which I'll check later.

I may even consider the 2.00 to 2.26Ghz upgrade, although at £150, it's not the most cost effect upgrade!

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

If you have the extra money go for the 2.26GHz, then you'll definitely notice a difference.
    And if the hard drive bothers you about writing / reading speed you can always get an external hard drive that runs at 7200 rpm to keep all your music/videos/photos/etc on.

5. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I've already got 2x1TB Seagates connected with FW800 with all my media on them.

Thanks for the post. I agree, the processor is something that can't easily be upgraded so might as well go all out!

Just been reading about the HDCP issue with the new iTunes HD movies, this bothers me, as I may not be able to watch any purchased/rented iTunes movies on my Sony Bravia.

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Why? Will it not be able to handle it or will it be to high end for iTunes HD movies?

And sorry if this sounds stupid, bt what's HDCP and HTPC?

7. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

HDCP - High Definitition Copy Protection
    HTPC - Home Theatre Personal Computer

No, the MM will handle the HD movies just fine. But there is an issue with playing HDCP movies on monitiors, other than the one provided with the mac (i.e. the iMac) or the new Apple Cinema Display.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I thought that only happened with the MacBook [Pro].
    I may be wrong.

9. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I think it's applicable to any mac with a displayport.

The MM may be able to get around it by using the mini-DVI connector, I'm not qualified to say though.