Outdated SuperDrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pexel, Feb 24, 2011.

1. pexel macrumors member

Why does Apple release the same 8x SuperDrive with every hardware release? I know the technology has been stagnant for a number of years but surely people want a CD / DVD burner capable of burning faster than 24x / 8x.

I haven't seen many complaints about this but it's always baffled me that Apple would stick to such a slow burn speed. Thoughts?

2. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

They keep the same drive because they are the most consistent speeds as far as writing goes. Apple is not about what is the fastest we can go on burn speeds, but rather about reliability in this aspect.

3. skiffx macrumors 6502a

They should just take it out, who the hell burns CDs? You can send all your data, use a flashdrive, or for those who still do, use an external burner like with MBA or your workstation. It just takes too much space that can be put to much better use (i.e. larger battery).
    edit: It's like the desktops in early 2000s that still had the floppy drive in them...except it didnt take up 1/5 of the computer.

4. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Thank god they included the superdrive in new models and let speed matters alone!

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

if it ain't brok don't fix it I say. If I want reliable copies I burn dvd's at 4x anyways. It takes longer but reduces the number of coasters I make.

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

They higher speed you write at actually makes the burn more prone to errors and failures. When burning DVDs for clients I often burn at the slowest speed.

7. dime21 macrumors 6502

Who cares? What's the difference between waiting 2 minutes versus 1 minute and a half? How many discs are you really burning on your laptop anyhow?

If you're that much of an optical disc power user, you would have an external Firewire burner anyhow. Plus most of the low dollar crap discs for sale these days are coasters if you burn at max speed so you have to dial it down to get reliable results.