Outdoor Kitchen with Itunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shadowfayre, Mar 18, 2009.

1. shadowfayre macrumors regular

I am trying to determine a way to integrate my iTunes library (WIFI) into an Outdoor Kitchen. Priority obviously weatherproof.

The current idea is to purchase a Marine Deck (FM/AM receiver) with AUX/IN and when in use, connect a laptop with WIFI to listen.

The only issue is that the laptop is not weatherproof. While if the weather turns, I can and will drag the laptop inside and again only be left out there during events; are there any other options?

I currently drag a stereo receiver and hook them up to with outdoor speakers which I then connect the laptop to. The benefit to the Marine Deck is that it is unit would be left outside and built into the bar. The bar is being built out of cement blocks, faux stones and a concrete top.

Thanks.

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You only need the speakers outside. Inside, a receiver with the outdoor speakers and an AirPort Express connected to it. I lived with this setup for 5 years and it worked fine. It works even better now that I have an iPod Touch and can control iTunes remotely, but the Touch is not necessary.

4. DoomWolf macrumors newbie

How about a Logitech Squeezebox? The Squeezecenter software can read your iTunes library and stream wirelessly to a Squeezebox player outside. You can even control the Squeezebox from the Touch/iPhone with the iPeng app from the Appstore. The Squeezebox forums at http://forums.slimdevices.com will have plenty of advice from people that have already done things similar to what you want to do.

Interestingly, the Google ad I see at the bottom of this page is actually for buying Squeezeboxes.

5. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. The AirPort Express Base looks like a possibility. With my iPod Touch (and for that matter I think just in my family we have 5 of these geek toys). With the Remote and Apple DJ, it would go very very well together.

I thought about a receiver inside running speakers to the outside too. Similar to what I am doing now with having the receiver in the pool house. Getting speaker wires from inside to outside may be a bit of a problem with the way the house was constructed (added on too really).

The Base station, being the N standard, should work for the distance I am looking at and being as small as it is, would be easy to take back in when the weather turns.

It looks like the Base station has a mini stereo out, so that would be support with what ever receiver or marine deck. Really trying to minimize the equipment that needs to be moved inside and out.