Outdoor Wifi extension help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lowercaseperson, Aug 6, 2015.

1. lowercaseperson macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I am trying to (easily) extend the range of my home wifi network down to my beach. The house is ~150 yards from the beach, and approximately half way between we have a deck that has a standard outlet.

There is more or less direct line of side, except for the fact that the beach is ~70 feet below the house. The only caveat is that because of the grade you can't actually "see" the beach where we setup.

I am hoping to not have to run any ethernet whatsoever. I am wondering if I could get a single range extender on the side of the house closest to the beach, and then possibly another one at the midway point between the house and the beach. Again, I really really don't want to run any ethernet...I would rather pay higher prices than run cable (I've looked around the house and it would be really had to discretely run any cables).

I'm wondering if I could use two of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...AC+Outdoor+11ac+1750Mpbs+dual-band+600ft+PoE+

Thanks!

P.S. I am currently running an Airport extreme + a single...OLD airport express and I can actually get a single wifi bar at the midway point.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. The UniFi hardware is great and will work well. You just need to configure the first AP to connect via Ethernet. The second AP will need power but can wirelessly extend.

3. lowercaseperson thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to have it connect to my network wirelessly? The side of the house closest to the beach is going to be really difficult to get Ethernet to.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. To my knowledge, the main UniFi needs to be connected via Ethernet.

5. lowercaseperson thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have any recommends on hardware that can join a network wirelessly, and extend a network? I know there are quite a few for within a house. Not sure which would give me the greatest chance of success.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The only other option would be to run power line to the first AP. In all honesty, using a power line adapter and then wireless extension is asking for problems. You stated it is difficult to run Ethernet but in all honesty, that is the only way I would go!