Outfitting my new MBP...what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Audrey313, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Audrey313 macrumors member

First let me say that I know there are so many threads on cases and I can assure you I have read every single one of them.

I'm wanting to protect my MBP to the very best of my ability. I had narrowed it down to Speck and InCase...and once I read the threads about cases and the overwhelming majority liking the InCase better, I decided InCase it was. Problem has been...my Apple store does not have any in, Best Buy claims they don't carry any for the 15" size. I know you can order from InCase but s&h plus tax adds another $15 or so to the price. But if InCase is THAT much better, I want to get it. And if anyone has any other ideas of where besides the website, please let me know.

So I have found a couple Speck ones decently priced...is there a better one between the satin or hard shell?

Overall though, it seems like despite the brand of case, people say they cause scratches. For me, a case is a necessity. I did see where some people mentioned covering theirs with things like InvisibleShield or BodyGuardz and then putting the case over that. I did not see an update from those individuals however about how it worked out. If you did that, could you please let me know? And which of the "shield" products is best?

I even wondered about if anyone had put a small sticker of lambs wool or something like that in the case before putting it on the MBP (placing it in the spots where scratches typically occur from the cases).

I guess I just want to protect it from the get-go to the best of my ability. And I promise, I have mroogled for hours about this subject but still had these concerns and questions.

Anyone with some experience or knoqledge, please do share! Thanks so much in advance!

2. advres Guest

advres

You buy a MBP (expensive) and you want the incase but don't want to spend an extra $15 on S&H? maybe I'm missing something but an extra $15 is like spitting into a well at this point.

3. BurningJah macrumors regular

I agree with him completly! get the incase pay the extra 15$! it's like 1% of your laptops total cost!
    maybe look for a couponcode so you don't need to pay it

4. Audrey313 thread starter macrumors member

You're right and I see your point but I guess this is one thing that I keep seeing...that both Speck and InCase are causing scratches...so if that's the case (no pun intended), would it be wise to get the Speck (which would end up 1/2 the price of InCase and then spend the additional money on the InvisibleShield (or other similar product)?

I'm honestly asking for opinions because I just don't know what to do. I'm a student (in professional school) so money is tight. If InCase is far superior to Speck, I of course would invest the money in it (although I wish I could find an alternate way of getting one instead of through the InCase website). But if it still scratches it, and my money would be just as well spent getting the shield to put under a Speck case, which would in turn, protect it better, I'd of course rather do that.

I really am just honestly asking what to do from those of you with experience...

5. Audrey313 thread starter macrumors member

And I appreciate this suggestion but unfortunately these are not the new versions that are 2010 MagSafe compatible...but again, thanks.

6. itripped macrumors member

Another alternative might be to not get a scratch-causing case at all, and instead get a proper padded laptop sleeve or bag. In my situation (I refused to make the pun) I got a gelaskin cover for the back, mostly because I was able to find a design I really liked but also to help guard against scratches and I also have a padded laptop bag I grabbed at MEC for cheap. It's made to fit this laptop specifically and the computer is in the bag unless it's being used. Also, I don't have heat issues either, as there are no extra case parts interfering with air flow.

Just my 2 cents on this, hope you enjoy whatever accessory you decide on!

PS - the cost of the laptop bag I got was about $27.00 if I recall - not too expensive, and it has a shoulder strap.
    Product link: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...4442625402&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302699955