Outgoing Connections Blocked? HELP !

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ash06, Dec 15, 2007.

1. ash06 macrumors member

Hey guys, i'm new to macs, and this website, i made my first post yesterday, and the help i got was great !

so, i have another question to ask.
    I am having problems with Mail, Windows Messenger, and iChat. - basically everything that requires a connection to the internet. Besides my web browsers ofcourse.

This is strange because everything worked fine for the first week or so, but now its all messed up! argh..

Can someone Please help me? >.<:confused::confused::confused:

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

What kind of network is your computer connected to?

3. SawTooth500 macrumors member

were you into System Preferences/Network by chance?
    Did you change anything?

Set Location to Automatic
    set Configure to Using DHCP
    click apply
    click Assist Me
    click Diagnostics.
    You should come up with all green indicators in the panel to the left.

Your stuff should work if you get all green. If not did you reset the sharing stuff, or firewall settings?:rolleyes:

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Did you install something like Little Snitch which can block outgoing connections?

-Kevin

5. ash06 thread starter macrumors member

hi, thanks for ther replys

um im connected to a wi-fi network
    the diagnostics is all in the green
    and i didn't install that program

argh.. this really sucks.. i was just starting to like the :apple: mac thing, and now it doesnt work !

any more ideas? :confused:
    oh and is there a way i can see everything thats installed on my computer? something similar to the 'add or remove programs' on xp?

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Can you hook up to a wired network to see if it's a wireless problem?

Most Application for a Mac will get installed in the Applications folder, unless you tell it otherwise.

You can use System Profiler to see all Applications installed on the machine. System Profiler can be found in the Utilities folder within Applications. Once System Profiler starts, there is an option in the list under the Software category called Applications. This will show you everything installed (although you can't manage it from here, you'll have to find the application itself). OS X doesn't have a Add/Remove programs utility like Windows.

Don't get too frustrated....I'm sure it's something basic.

-Kevin

7. SawTooth500 macrumors member

Click on the Apple symbol at the top left hand corner of your screen.
    Click 'About This Mac'
    Click the 'More Info' button, and System Profiler will open up for you.:apple:

8. SawTooth500 macrumors member

One of the first things I do just after a new install of Mac OSX is to open up System Preferences and go through each one setting stuff the way I want it.

Have you done this?

Did you reset any thing in Security? Firewall tab?

Mmm? What are you communicating with now? Is it on the same wireless setup?:confused:

9. ash06 thread starter macrumors member

hey once again, thanks for the replys

yeah i hooked up via ethernet as well, but i still have the same problem. all outgoing programs don't work. Web browsing on safari works fine, and i am on it right now via wi-fi.

i looked at system profiler, everything seems normal? not that i'd know though, i am new to this. But i havn't installed anything besides, firefox, windows messenger, and a .wmv plugin. Other than that my macbook pro is pretty much default; running only everything that comes with Leopard. ?:confused::confused:

I'm pretty sure i havn't reseted anything in Security, i havn't even gone there.

Like i said, everything worked absolutely fine for the first few days, and now it is becoming a pain. I fine myself having to restart and boot to windows to do stuff.

argh.. please help ??:(