Outgoing Mail blocked when traveling

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ugmuck, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Ugmuck macrumors newbie

Using Tiger (10.4.11) & Apple Mail. My home server suggested Port 587, but no help there from that. Diagnostics suggested changing to different server address, also no help. This problem happens whenever I travel away from home & do not use my home server.

My home server says it is not their fault, but the fault of other servers who are blocking me. ?????

Strangely, my wife is using a new Macbook Pro. (OS 10.5+) She uses same home server as I do, and does not have this problem. ???? Help Please!
    :(

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Compare your mail settings with your wifes and make any necessary changes.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Yes, when traveling some companies with mail servers do block any outside ports that require sending mail. I have Cox and I can rarely send mail at any hotel that I am at. As for a suggestion, it's a bit of a far work-a-round but you can set up a gmail account and use their outgoing server settings in your regular mail account when you travel...

Edit... the hotels block the ports not your service provider...

4. Queso macrumors G4

Your ISP only accepts SMTP connections from hosts within a permitted IP range. It's a pretty standard protection to avoid their servers being used as open spam relays.

IMAP with a hosted mailbox (e.g. Gmail) will be a better solution for your needs by the sound of things.

5. Ugmuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Outgoing mail blocked wen traveling....still.....?

Thanks to all who replied!!

1. I compared my settings to my wife's, and they match. Yet, I cannot send, & she can. Of course, I am using an old ibook G3 with Tiger, & she has a spanking brand new MacBook Pro.

More questions:

1. Tried setting up an imap with gmail, using their server for outgoing. It worked in some places, but not in others. Go figure???
    Anybody got an idea on this one????

2. Thinking about getting Power Mail, a good 3rd party application, & using it with my same server & address instead of Apple's mail program. Much chance of this solving the problem??

:confused: