Outgoing Mailserver

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lexus, Apr 17, 2008.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I use mac mail and as the outgoing mail server I have to use my ISP's mail server, as I travel alot it means I have to keep changing it and in some hotels it doesnt work. Is there anyway I can use a outgoing mail server which I can use from anywhere?

Thanks

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

The outgoing mail server (SMTP Server) is normally restricted due to spammers using public SMTP servers to forward on spam. Most ISPs, institutions, companies with half a brain will block port 25 (which is used for SMTP) to avoid their networks being used in this way

3. decal macrumors member

decal

You can add multiple smtp servers to mail, I have the same issue. Since I send most of my mail from home I have my ISP's smtp as the default and when am away I choose a different smtp. As long as you have set-up the smtp as secure by adding your user name and password you should be OK. Even setting that up with you ISP's details.

I have a separate e-mail server to the ISP I use and generally have not had an issue since I added my user name and password.

I hope this helps?

Attached Files:

4. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

I know that but is there anyway to make it one outgoing mail server for all locations so that I dont need to keep changing it?

Thanks

5. decal macrumors member

decal

If your secure account will not work then yes you need to find out their out going smtp.
    A. call reception to see if they know?
    B. In the past I have used network utility > Traceroute them put in my regular smtp.com and if you are lucky the name of their IPS will come up.
    Then it's trial and error to work out which combination of ???.smtp.com you need to use.
    C. Otherwise I just use webmail or .Mac mail on-line.

As they say that's life.

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

if you use gmail, you can use port 587 SSL

Doubt that port is usually blocked... :confused:

7. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

A few ISP's and mail hosting outfits support port 587 connections. You could try it out or contact your provider and ask them.

8. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

I tried port 587 and it doesnt work, does anyone know if their is a service I can subscribe to or similar???

Thanks alot

9. Ugmuck macrumors newbie

Outgoing mail blocked when traveling

When I travel my outgoing mail is blocked. I tried port 587, but no help.
    I'm using 10.4.11 (Tiger) using Apple Mail. My home server says it is a problem originating with OTHER servers??? :mad: