Outgrown Garageband. Logic Express or something else?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Queso, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

My new Axiom 61 arrived. Plugged it in, all going well with software instruments right up until I attempt a pitch-bend. Oh dear!! I then trawl through the Web and discover that Garageband is a bit poo on the MIDI front and that most of the controls on the keyboard just won't work with it, pitch bend included.

The Axiom came with Ableton Live 7 Lite, which from a brief play looks ok, but may not be the right choice, especially because as an aging adult I'm not too sure about the really tiny text :p

Any suggestions for someone moving up? Logic Express? Or does anyone have another recommendation?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I use Reason 4 mainly. With Propellerheads improving the refills all the time the sample based instruments are becoming really good.
    They have a demo that times out after 20 minutes, so you can't really get too involved but it gives you a good idea.

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I love Reason 4. It is just keyboard/synth and sampler based though. No audio recording. If you need to record or manipulate audio, then yes, you may be better off with something like Logic.

4. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Oh, so real instrument input (such as guitar via a USB interface from a digital effects box) is out then?

5. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Yes.. So Reason would not be so good for you. Logic is highly regarded however, and of course is closely related to GarageBand. So it's probably the best option for you :)

6. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Thanks for the recommendations chaps. I decided on Logic Express. Unfortunately I want it on my iMac rather than my MBP so have to wait until I get home to have a play.

Looks like my weekend is now planned though :D

7. sxrxrr macrumors newbie

I tried Logic and selected Live 7 suite

I find Live to be more intuitive and flexible. It flows better for my creativity. I recommend you try it before deciding. Ableton has good videos on their website that get you started. I use it with the Axiom 25. Very nice.

8. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Thanks, but I've already bought Logic now :)

Live 7 Lite came bundled with the keyboard, so it's always there as another option if I want it.

9. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

I use Reason 4 pretty extensively. I Rewire it into Pro Tools, but I'm quite sure the same is possible with Logic.

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Are you a student? If you are, Logic Studio is only $150.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

O rly? That's good to know.

12. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

Im sure you meant the normally 200$ Logic Express is 150 for students right? because if 500$ Logic Studio software is available for 150$ that is the biggest steal ever!

13. North Bronson macrumors 6502

Logic Studio is actually 199$ for students.

Yes, it is a steal! :cool:

14. SigmundFraud macrumors member

Spread the love

If the LE licence is the same as Logic Studio, you can install it on one desk-top and one laptop; you don't even have to wait to get home (I would suggest checking the licencing is the same first).

15. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I have since discovered that via another source. If only I'd known on the day :D

16. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Nope, it is $150 at certain college bookstores. Logic Express is $69. UC Davis and UCSD are two school that sell them for $150.

http://bookstore.ucsd.edu/computers/software/apple.htm

17. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Do you have to be a UCSD student to get it at that price? If not, I want to order. If so, I have a friend who goes there that I can ask to get it for me.

18. North Bronson macrumors 6502

Wow, very cool!

I bought it at the UCLA bookstore last summer for $199. That's awesome that it's only $150. :eek:

I just checked. UCLA sells it for $150 for departmental purchase. It sounds like students can only buy it for the $199 price.

19. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Holy hell! That's one massive discount.

I'm actually really angry that there's nothing like that in the UK. Our universities typically don't have campus stores, and the Apple Store charges £289 (with discount. £319 without). I can no way afford that.

20. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Yes you have to be a student but check with other UC Schools. I go to UC Davis and was able to get it. If you are having "trouble", I can help you on getting it.

21. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Just checked from the HE online store, and Logic Studio appears at £118, which is more like it (it's annoying you can only access that from the uni's network). It's actually cheaper standalone than as an upgrade.

Isn't logic studio getting an update soon, though? I mean, it comes with QT7 Pro, which is supposedly being replaced by QT8 soon. That would make sense, as Logic Studio 1.0 (logic 8.0) was released in September 2007. They could have an update to 2.0 one year on, and include QuickTime 8 Pro.

22. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I didn't think QT Pro was included with Logic? I thought you still had to buy that separately.

23. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

It is included.

24. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

OK, hadn't noticed, probably because I already had it. :p

25. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

Logic is on a slower upgrade path. Remember how long it took for the upgrade from Logic 7 to Logic 8?

Even though the OP already got Logic, I'm putting my vote in for Digital Performer.