Outlook 2007 (PC) -> Outlook 2011 (Mac)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mindlogo, Aug 21, 2010.

1. mindlogo macrumors newbie

I will be switching from Outlook 2007 to Office for Mac Outlook 2011 for my business email/calendar/contacts. I am pleased with Outlook 2007, but despise my PC otherwise. I will be using Microsoft Exchange as my email server. My concerns: Calendar Syncing, Accessing Archived PST files, Transitioning current mail folders.

I have a couple questions regarding this switch:

- Will Office for Mac Outlook 2011 accommodate by business needs and offer a comparable application as Office 2007 (PC version)?

- What roadblocks or issues should I be aware of when making this switch?

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I believe anyone that is actually running 2011 at this point is still under NDA, so you may not get a very comprehensive review. I believe the most that has been made public is the various screen shots and sneak peeks by the development team.

I am looking to switch over as well, or at least sync both versions.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Outlook:Mac 2011 supports Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2011. We haven't yet announced all of the features of it yet, so I can't tell you everything yet.

When you talk about calendar syncing, what do you mean? If you're connecting your mobile devices (like an iPhone) to your Exchange server, then that's done entirely outside of Outlook. Outlook:Mac will communicate with Exchange, and your mobile device will communicate with Exchange and get everything off of there. For example, my iPhone always has my most current calendar on there because it's connecting to Exchange.

We have announced that Outlook:Mac will import .PST files from Outlook for Windows.

What do you mean by transitioning current mail folders? If it's mail that's stored on Exchange, then Outlook:Mac will just connect to your Exchange account and you'll see everything there. Do you mean that, or something else?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. mindlogo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, Nadyne.

In regards to my question about 'transitioning current mail folders'...

Will I be able to utilize the same mail folders I previously created for Outlook 2007 or will I need to create new mail folders?

Regards,
    David

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do I understand correctly that Outlook 2011 will not be compatible with older versions of Exchange server?

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If your folders are stored on Exchange, then there's no transition. Outlook will simply access them on Exchange, and you'll work with them normally.

If your folders are stored locally in Outlook for Windows, then you can create a .PST archive to move them over to Outlook:Mac.

Outlook exclusively uses Exchange Web Services to communicate with Exchange, which was introduced in Exchange 2007. For Exchange 2003 and earlier, Outlook:Mac will not work with it unless IMAP is enabled. If IMAP isn't enabled, then you'll need to continue to use Entourage 2008 or earlier.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

no server rules?!

i heard from some MS Outlook for Mac Beta 6 (latest?) users that it does not (yet?) support MS Exchange server rules creation or modification or even viewing.

This is one of the most frustrating parts of using Exhange on a Mac (Mail, Entourage or other apps) as none of them can access and modify server rules as I can do with Outlook on Windows.

Cmon Microslow: get your act together...

8. jeffm5690 macrumors regular

Outlook 2011 Exchange

Help! I have all the info entered in Beta 6 - my account is green and connected - but I CANT SEE ANYTHING - no email, no calendar... Nothing!

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you contacted Technical Support?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Prob did not get the beta officially.

11. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Bingo. It's ridiculous and super-frustrating....

12. jeffabcc macrumors newbie

.pst file import question

I have a huge .pst file which I created with Outlook 2007 on Windows. My question is, if I follow the instructions in Mac Outlook 2011 to import a .pst file, will the resultant import be stored locally, or will it dump into my exchange account and blow up my account, as it would be way above the limit for account size on my company's exchange server?

13. nicklyaine macrumors newbie

It will appear under On My Computer and will be stored locally, in /Users/%user%/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/Data Records/. In the Data Records folder, the e-mails and attachments are split to resolve the previous issue with Entourage not being able to be backed up using Time Machine.

14. JulesFM macrumors newbie

Just use the OWA (Outlook Web App, formerly known as Outlook Web Access) from Firefox or Safari, and you can do everything with server rules in there. Not ideal that you need to crank up a web browser to do it, but most people don't need to edit rules very often so it's not a great hazard. In Exchange 2010 most Mac web browsers are supported for the full "Premium" Outlook Web Access, rather than the "Light" version that you had to use in previous editions.

I agree it's still a hazard if you are using Exchange 2007SP1, but no real problem in Exchange 2010.

15. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

It's going to be a while until we upgrade to bloody Exchange 2010 so yes it is a major pain in the rearend.

16. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Thanks for posting this, a workaround is good enough for me for server-side rules. As you note, they are static enough that I don't need to edit them often once they have been created.

Just for reference, only IE6 or later is supported for full access to OWA on Exchange 2007. Safari and Firefox only support the light client, which lacks the ability to edit server-side rules. My Exchange server is at 2007SP3.

17. jeffabcc macrumors newbie

Thank you for this. My .pst file is now accessible in Outlook on my Mac; something I was never able to do using Entourage.