Outlook 2007 to Address Book

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by askywalker, Aug 24, 2007.

1. askywalker macrumors regular

I've been trying to export my address book from Outlook 2007 to the Address Book on my new MBP.

It looks easy - lots of google/MacRumors results indicating to simply export from Outlook as a CSV, then import as text file into Address Book, but it looks like these are geared towards Outlook 2003 and before?

I have tried exporting 4 different formats:
    CSV (DOS)
    CSV (Windows)
    Tab (DOS)
    Tab (Windows)

All four give me a 'Text file import failure. The file you selected does not appear to be a valid comma separated values (csv) file nor a valid tab delimited file, please choose another file.'

I can open them in the Mac text editor - they look like standard csv/tab files to me. They open fine in Excel. Does anyone know if the standard has changed in Outlook 2007? Is it possible I have too many records - I have 758.

I have a PDA (Axim) that has bluetooth - maybe I can sync it somehow with Address book to get the records?

Cheers!
    AS

2. rjfturner macrumors newbie

Exporting Vcards from Outlook 2007... sort of.

Hi,

I have found a way... not the easiest i'm sure, but it works.

I selected the files in my contact list (approx 100 per time) and then right clicked. Select "send full contact" and then In Internet Format (Vcard). Email this to yourself on your Mac.

When you receive the mail (i'm using osx mail) click the save attachments. I created a folder on the desktop.

When you have saved all of your files drag them from the new folder to the address book. It imports the files.

Only problem is it puts a load of rubbish in the notes section.

I also sent the Calender by right clicking and emailing. ical loads it fine.

I'm yet to work out how to export my 1000's of emails.

Hope this helps,

Rich

rich@soundunlimited.co.uk

3. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the idea. Actually, the main reason I want to do this is to get access to the Notes - how bad is the rubbish?

Cheers!

4. shikimo macrumors 6502

Sorry to nuance the topic for a brief second, but since you've been playing around with this process you might be able to help me: I am getting the same error message while trying to import addresses from an older version (10.2) of Address Book. I thought it would be easy; I simply saved the whole application on a CD-RW when I left the US two years ago with the idea of importing the files directly into the Address Book application on whatever system would be around when I got another Mac, which turned out to be last week. Doesn't work as cards ("no readable cards") or text files (same message the OP gets). I would just use the old one, but it doesn't run properly, as one would expect from a two-update-old program. Any suggestions?

5. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm... I've only been using a Mac for a week and a half, but it sounds to me like you need to open this 'old version' on an older Mac (one that is capable of running your app) and choosing to export from within the old version of Address Book. Good luck with this - I would offer to help but I don't think my Mac will have any better luck than yours (I have a MBP 2.4 15")

I ended up pairing my PDA (Axim X51V) with my Mac, and sent all my contacts to my Mac from the PDA. I noticed there was a bluetooth setting to automatically accept files from the PDA, which helped considering there were over 750 contacts and by default it prompts for confirmation on each one. So a 'Select All' then 'Send to' on my trusty PDA and I have a folder with 750 vcards easily importable into Address Book. Notes and everything seem to be perfect. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

6. shikimo macrumors 6502

Thanks for the idea, and glad you found a solution.

7. Gordy macrumors 6502a