Outlook 2011 Attachment size limit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HoosPhotog, Aug 4, 2011.

1. HoosPhotog macrumors member

Using Outlook 2011 on early 2011 MBP (10.6.8) connected to exchange server and I can't send email attachments over 19MB through the client (My organization's Exchange attachment limit is 50MB). If I try sending the same attachments through Outlook Web Access, everything's fine, but that's a PITA.

Is there some quirk in Outlook causing this? I stumped both my departments IT guy and our whole organization's Exchange administrator (!!). Anyone had this issue or know a fix? I know there are several workarounds (have Dropbox, looking into YouSendIt, etc.), but email is just quick and convenient when I need to get photos out on deadline- I'm a photographer and sending large files is a must.

Thanks MR!

2. ambalish macrumors newbie

We're having a similar issue here. Our size limit set by our Server team is 20 MB, but users seem to hit the glass ceiling at around 10 MB. It's almost like Outlook 2011 is doubling the size of attachments?

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Interesting... There is a registry setting in Windows that will adjust this. Yes, at least in Windows, Outlook has a default attachment size limit, even though it may not match the limit of the Exchange Server.

Everything I could find claims that Outlook for Mac does not have such a limit, but maybe that's not true.
    Here's a link that describes the problem in Windows - maybe it will help you in some way...

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/How-To-Increase-The-Outlook-Attachment-Size-Limit.htm

4. nigels0 macrumors member

Yes - same problem - I have to work around by using OWA. I can send between 0-7MB before it stops being reliable. The Outlook server has a limit of 30MB. Outlook 2011 seems to transfer the whole file, then it hangs for a while then I get a size limit dialog box up.