Outlook 2011: Changing pop to imap visa versa

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kayut, Jul 4, 2011.

1. kayut macrumors member

Hi,

How can I change a pop3 account to imap?

How can I change a imap account to pop3?

thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It will depend on the account as well. Depending on how the server is set up, the account may be POP or IMAP only.

4. kayut, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

kayut thread starter macrumors member

No, it is not possible to change an imap account to pop under account setting, otherwise I would not ask.

By creating an account you have to choose imap or pop, but later you can not change this.

My question is, how can I change an imap account to a pop account and not how can I create an imap or pop account?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Delete the account and create it again, there is no way to change it once it is created.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

IMAP and POP are protocols; they indicate the method you use to connect to a mail server (assuming it supports both protocols). It's like the difference between calling a friend over a cellular network vs a landline network. Both can work, but you can't turn one into the other.

You'll just have to create a new account using the protocol you prefer. Depending on what protocol you've been using your stuff is stored on your local computer or server or both; just make you have what you need before deleting an account.

7. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Comcast for example only allows for POP accounts. Hotmail for Macs is also POP only. You have to check with your provider to see what they allow.

8. kayut thread starter macrumors member

What a shame. But thanks for the answer.

9. bigtex macrumors newbie

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

On of the many advantages of owning your own website is that the hosting package will contain an email server. Any decent hosting service will let you decide if you want POP3, IMAP, Exchange... or other mail protocol between the server and your clients. We use IMAP as we do not have to worry about how much email is in folders on the servers. As admin I set the email limits on the server to no limit. With IMAP we can send/receive and see all the folders using any client....Mac, iPhone, or iPad.

These days getting a URL and a hosting account is dirt cheap. There are many top quality hosting companies like BlueHost, JustHost, and several more.