Outlook 2011 connecting to Exchange 2010 issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sdudley, May 13, 2013.

1. sdudley macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am having a terrible time trying to connect my Outlook 2011 to my work's exchange 2010 server. I am the only Mac user in the organisation that is attempting to do what I want to do, so they are not interested in helping me. Usual story in many organisations i've noticed!

The story is, my company used to use exchange 2003 and was working well with DavMail, it all fell apart when they changed to exchange 2010.
    No matter what the settings I enter, it doesn't want to connect, it just sits on amber.

I have got the IT department to enable 'basic authentication' thinking that that would solve the problem, but I still cannot connect either via direct connection through outlook or via DavMail gateway.

During the change over, they specified that this time around, port 443 (SSL) is required for OWA to work - hence my iPhone & iPad email works fine. DavMail doesn't seem to give me the option to select SSL - maybe that's the problem? I can select 'connect via SSL' in the outlook account settings whilst still overriding the port to route to DavMail - but still nothing.

Help please! I cannot perform my work duties without email on my laptop!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As you know, Outlook 2011 is not Outlook; it is Entourage EWS 14. It is supposed to auto discover Exchange Server 2010. Lucky for me, I have never had to test this functionality. My firm is still on Exchange Server 2003 which requires Entourage 2008 or Entourage 2004 and is incompatible with Entourage EWS/Outlook 2011.

That said, you may be trying too hard. Because Outlook 2011 is supposed to auto discover your Exchange server, I would try that first. If auto discovery does not work, then I would seek-out a Windows-using colleague who will allow me to record the server settings for his/her installation of Outlook. This is how I setup the original settings for my current installation of Entourage.