Outlook 2011 crash loop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hillskill, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Hillskill macrumors member

Hi,
    We are using outlook 2011 on one of the iMacs here (Snow Leopard 10.6.7). Today it randomly threw up an error and crashed. MS Error reported asked if we wanted to report the crash and restart the app. We selected restart and now the app is stuck in a loop of launching and crashing. We have tried uninstalling by dragging the office folder to the trash and then reinstalling, this gave exactly the same problem. We have now installed CleanMyMac and used this to uninstall Office 2011. Upon reinstallation exactly the same problem has occured again!

I have searched online and no one else seems to be having this issue. I am guess there is some sort of config file or similar that may have got corrupted. This must live elsewhere on the mac and is getting missed by uninstallation. Does that sound right?

2. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

You've probably thought of this - apologies if it's blindingly obvious...

Had a similar problem and opened the Database file which is in the Documents folder usually. Built a new profile, started Outlook whilst holding down ctrl and pointed to the new profile, and it started fine. Then went back to the database and deleted the old one.

3. Hillskill thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much. Wasn't obvious to me at all. Wasn't obvious which file needed junking or whether outlook would rebuild the file so I instead junked the whole folder. Now reinstalling and hoping this solves the issue.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

App removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

5. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Hop it works for you - I like Outlook, but it's just not robust enough to have my full confidence yet... Too many crashes too often for me.