Outlook 2011 + Exchange 2010

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Punked24, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Punked24 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a problem with outlook 2011 and its driving me crazy.

We have a small network of 20 clients. 2 of them are Imac 27" with Lion os and office 2011 installed.

The office version of 2011 is up to date with the latest updates from MS.
    Also the exchange servers have the latest updates and service packs installed.

Now the problem is that the sync time between the exchange server and outlook 2011 sucks BIG time! When i send a internal message to user its takes 2 min till its deliverd! On the iphone its getting the message directly but on outlook 2011 its has a major delay of 2 min up to 5!

When i send a internal message to a mailbox that is shared. Used by outlook 2010 ( windows ) and outlook 2011 MAC the email is directly deliverd on the Outlook 2010 users and also on the iphones. But on the outlook2011 users its takes a while!

I did a lot of research on the internet but i cannot find a solution for this problem. There is a post on a other forum from MS with a user that has the same problem but no solution, this is the url: http://community.office36.../f/160/p/17054/95345.aspx

This are my steps so far.

1 Rebuild mail client database
    2 Create a new identity on the mac
    3 Checked de EWS settings on the exchange server.
    4 Installed all the latest updates. On outlook 2011 and the exchange servers.

I hope some one can help me with this problem because its driving me crazy....

Thanks,
    Greets Jeff

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

First NEVER rebuild an Identity with an Exchange account. Delete the account before rebuilding. Generally it's advised to start in a new Identity.

Outlook does not have ActiveSync. iPhone does. Expect to see improved performance after SP2. Remember Outlook Mac is v1 software where Outlook for Windows is a mature product.

Exchange Basics

The Inbox syncs more frequently than any other and should be kept as clean as possible. (this is the number one cause of problems with sync). Do NOT make subfolders under the Inbox.

Any folder with more than a few thousand messages is going to take some time to fully come down when you first sync your account. Due to the design of Outlook's sync engine (and how exchange works), you will see the 512 newest messages in a folder at the initial start of sync then the rest of the folder's contents will be back filled before you see any mail that arrives after this point. This is why it will look like you are not getting new mail when a folder is still going through initial sync. This is also further exacerbated by an Exchange issue where it gets unnecessary change events before the newer mail arrives. If you carefully watch the progress during the sync of a folder with greater than a couple thousand messages, you will see "Updating local..." a lot before the newer mail starts arriving (newer than the initial 512 that come down).

Outlook checks the server for updates every minute, any folder that has updates will subsequently be synced. Since Outlook has a limit on how many folders can be synced at a time, there can be a queue of folders waiting. The Inbox does get high priority so it will generally sync before other folders that also need to sync.