Outlook 2011 Exchange/iPhone calendar sync (without EAS)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rbrian, Jul 19, 2012.

1. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

My company has helpfully stopped using Exchange Active Sync, so I can no longer sync my own iPhone. I can, however, sync Outlook 2011 (though I can't get Outlook 2003 or 2010 to work on Windows 7 or 8...).

I don't care about the emails, I just want my calendar on my iPhone. Sync Services is on, but it doesn't seem to do anything. How can I get my work calendar on my iPhone? Read only is sufficient. I really really don't want to have to enter every appointment twice! There must be an easy way - or even a complicated way, like syncing with an intermediate service. Any suggestions?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do you have a gmail account? You can use google calendar sync to do what you are wanting to do. I use this since my Department doesn't allow personal phones on the network. But this works great.

http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=89955

3. rbrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

rbrian

That looks great, but according to that link it only works on Windows. I only have a user account on my work machine; I can't install any software, and even if I could, it would be removed and I'd get into trouble next time it connected to the network.

I have a Windows machine at home too, but I can't get that to connect to my Exchange account. I don't understand why Outlook 2011 connected with no problems, but 2003 and 2010 in Windows 7 and 8 cannot verify the account.

I need a solution that can talk to both Outlook 2011 and my iPhone.

4. rbrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Well, I'm nearly there, so I thought I'd let you know what happened. Calendar (neé iCal) synced with Exchange, and iTunes lets me sync it with my iPhone. Well, on one of my macs anyway. It's not perfect, since it will only sync when I'm at home, but once a day is sufficient for my purposes, and better than nothing.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were on a windows box at work and wanted your calendar to sync with your ical calendar at home and your iDevice calendar on the go.

Sorry about that. One nice thing is you don't have to be an administrator to install the program. But if you are going to get into trouble for installing items on your work computer I wouldn't do it. :)