Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L12-Jacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I am stuck in email migration process while exporting Outlook for mac data to Mac mail.

Every time I export the data from Outlook for Mac using the export wizard, the file size varies. I have triesd exporting the data 3 times and every time I gor different file size of the exported files. I am not sure what the problem is and weather the Outlook client is missing the files while exporting or what. Pleas help me solve this issue as I cannot risk the loss of any of my email files while exporting them from outlook for mac to mac mail.

Or if anyone can suggest any direct method to export from outlook for mac to mac mail that doesn't involve the export procedure.

Thanks

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Don't bother with Export. Easier way

I am stuck in email migration process while exporting Outlook for mac data to Mac mail.

Every time I export the data from Outlook for Mac using the export wizard, the file size varies. I have triesd exporting the data 3 times and every time I gor different file size of the exported files. I am not sure what the problem is and weather the Outlook client is missing the files while exporting or what. Pleas help me solve this issue as I cannot risk the loss of any of my email files while exporting them from outlook for mac to mac mail.

Or if anyone can suggest any direct method to export from outlook for mac to mac mail that doesn't involve the export procedure.

Thanks

I had similar issues migrating away from (the AWFUL) Outlook client in Office 2011. There are third-party options, but for me, the best and most complete way was to drag the Outlook folders (for instance Inbox, Sent items etc) onto the desktop. This will create an MBOX mailbox file that can be imported directly into OSX Mail.

Not looked back since I tried this, and have THOUSANDS of emails.

Outlook became so unreliable, having to rebuild the Database nearly every day, and crashed regularly. Better than Entourage in the previous versions of the Mac:Office suite, but a pencil and paper were better than that particular terrible piece of code.......

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
While davegoody has expressed a don't love/really hate relationship with Outlook 2011 :D, I have no issues with it as its configured with my Exchange accounts.

The "easiest" means to import mail is to simply connect Mail to your Exchange account(s). And, wait. The next easiest means to get your messages from your account via Outlook is to simply drag and drop directory folders to a designated location (i.e., Desktop) - don't waste your time with Outlook's export options - Mail will not import the IMAPI export files. Drag-and-drop will create MBOX files that import seamlessly into Mail.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
There are third-party options, but for me, the best and most complete way was to drag the Outlook folders (for instance Inbox, Sent items etc) onto the desktop. This will create an MBOX mailbox file that can be imported directly into OSX Mail.

I too have successfully done this after failure with the export function. It's quite easy, give it a try.

L12-Jacobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I had similar issues migrating away from (the AWFUL) Outlook client in Office 2011. There are third-party options, but for me, the best and most complete way was to drag the Outlook folders (for instance Inbox, Sent items etc) onto the desktop. This will create an MBOX mailbox file that can be imported directly into OSX Mail.

Not looked back since I tried this, and have THOUSANDS of emails.

Outlook became so unreliable, having to rebuild the Database nearly every day, and crashed regularly. Better than Entourage in the previous versions of the Mac:Office suite, but a pencil and paper were better than that particular terrible piece of code.......

Well trying this I ended in blank folders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.