Outlook 2011, how to save space?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by prvt.donut, Aug 17, 2012.

1. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

128GB MBA and system drive space is always going to be tricky.

I ran out of space on it and want to find a way to reduce used space.

I was thinking that outlook 2011 (setup with an exchange account) is probably saving a lot of emails to the local drive, is there a way to get it to stop saving all email and sync only the last 30 days or something?

2. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Set it up as a POP account. That way you can independently control your messages in Outlook.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

E-mail really doesn't take up that much room.

4. jpvand1 macrumors newbie

I'd like to bump this question.

Oh YES it does. I have 4 accounts setup for the last 3 years. If I go to library users, outlook folder (macbook Pro, lion OS), the files are >14GB !!!!

Its rediculously large. Outlook is way to slow and bulky as is, so if there's no fix I'm switching clients for sure.

Any suggestions?

5. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

OSX Mail

If you are able to switch to OSX Mail (which actually works quite well with Exchange, I am using it now) then there is a setting regarding keeping copies messages for offline viewing. In Accounts, Advanced, then change "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing:" to omit attachments, or don't keep copies of any messages.

I looked for, but was unable to find a similar setting in Outlook 2011.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I do believe there is an ARCHIVE function in Outlook, to move old email out.

I switched to gmail 4 years ago after having to change outlook account between broadband carrier switch, kinda annoying to have to tell everybody "This is my new email!" Gmail is been solid (zero spam unlike other web mails). Takes zero space (almost).