Outlook 2011 issues with Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by wilsonlaidlaw, Jul 21, 2011.

1. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

After upgrading to Lion yesterday, I am having the same issue on both my MBP and iMac on Outlook 2011. I also downloaded and installed Microsoft Office update 2011-1412. The inbox correctly displays the number of new unread emails, but only some of these display (typically if I have 6 incoming emails, 4 will display, 2 will not). Sometimes if I change folders and then go back to Inbox, the unread mails display but sometimes, I have to close down and re-start Outlook to get the mails to display. You can search for the missing emails and if your search locates something, the missing mail will pop up. I have done all the usual first aid - verified HD (with Disk Warrior), repaired permissions, rebuilt my Office Identity. None of these have cured the issue. Anyone else having this issue? I tried to post something in Mactopia but as usual, it is not accepting posts.

2. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

People use outlook still?

Sorry, I just had to ask. The new Mail is way better than outlook.

3. wilsonlaidlaw thread starter macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

I have not looked at mail in Lion. It would need to be a huge improvement on Snow Leopard Mail to be a usable business email system. There is a big need for a robust (Outlook is getting better but not there yet) sophisticated integrated Mail/Scheduling/Address book system for business for Mac. Outlook was a huge missed opportunity. Microsoft promised stationery (vital for business use) and did not deliver. Sync is a mess with the field headings not matching either Address book or Mobile Me, so data gets scrambled in both directions plus various other errors in layouts, interface etc.

The Apple approach is just not sufficiently integrated for business purposes. Mail does not talk properly to iCal or Address book and Notes. Outlook for Windows is an excellent product within the limitations of Windoze. It is just a pity that MS failed to port it properly or deliberately crippled it (more likely), when they moved from Entourage to Outlook.

4. starlir macrumors newbie

Mail 5.0 (the version released with Lion) has exactly the same problems, see threads in the Apple discussion forum.

5. wilsonlaidlaw thread starter macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Outlook in Lion has settled down

This is something that very rarely happens. Without doing anything, Outlook seems to have cured itself. The only thing I can think of that might have been the cause is that I did a full offline defrag of my hard disc.

6. MacRum2011 macrumors regular

i'm not having any problems with Outlook 2011. Its working the same as ti did with SL.

7. ro050408 macrumors newbie

I have not noticed any new issues with Outlook 2011 under Lion vs Snow Leopard. The drag and drop of attachments into emails still does not work though. That is likely a Microsoft issue though.