Outlook 2011 - jumping to inbox folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnclin, Aug 17, 2011.

1. johnclin macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm supporting a user who has a strange issue where no matter which mail folder outside of the inbox she clicks on, after several seconds, it jumps right back to the inbox.

So for example, I scroll down to a random mail folder and click a message. After a few seconds or more, I get kicked back to the inbox. You can see how frustrating this can be for someone.

I rebuilt the database just now, but it still occurs consistently.

Looking for any advice.

2. p4u1i0 macrumors newbie

Jumps to inbox

Myself and colleagues are having the same issue. After several seconds, sometimes minutes of reading a message in a subfolder, outlook jumps back to my inbox (which is empty due to my armada of rules).

We are all on MS Exchange (2003?) and brand new macbook pros (10.6.8)

Crappy ass MS..release more software in beta, people just love fixing your garbage..

3. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Outlook for Mac 2011 does not support Exchange 2003.

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Don't know how I missed this but....

It's a known issue. It happens when you receive mail while viewing something outside the Inbox. Very annoying.

You might try smart folders rather than moving the mail to subfolders.

Be sure to send Microsoft feedback.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

5. gadric macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have the same issue with Outlook 2011 (14.2.2) with Exchange 2010 SP2. I figured out that the problems occurs, when Outlook is syncing with Exchange. If you turn your accounts offline, this problem disappears.

Anyone have a solution?

6. heutger macrumors newbie

Hi,

I do not have a solution, but I have a workaround. Finally the issue still occurs and for the new ones with Office for Mac or Mac at all, it RECENTLY did NOT occur with Office for Mac, with one update, I'm sorry for not being able to report with which update, it started to occur and since then no solution has been provided.

I also reported to Microsoft, thanks for the link. I also linked to the thread.

However, here is the workaround: I just found out, that if you are in a subfolder under inbox, reading and working on your mails and once after some jumps to the top STAY in your subfolders structure, a jump to the inbox folder does NOT occur. Just once you go to the sent or trash folder in between surfing your folder structure, the jump occurs again. So it seems, that if you're back to a "system folder" it toggles again that strange behavior, otherwise you can still keep browsing your folders and set the jobs to been done on the trash or sent folder to be done at last. Finally from that folders it also seems not to jump to the inbox folder, just on the pane view, but not on the content view.