Outlook 2011 Mac Unresponsive after 10.6.7 update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonnysods, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hey guys, I have a weird problem here, wondering if anyone can help me.

I updated to 10.6.7 today as the title states, and when I opened up Outlook, it received emails, but I couldn't click any buttons like reply, new, anything like that. Essentially the program is useless right now.

I can go into the calendar area and create new appointments etc, but not from the Mail section.

Any similar issues for people out there? Any fixes on this?

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I did the combo update install of 10.6.7 last week and Outlook 2011 still works fine.

I had read somewhere that uninstalling and reinstalling Safari has sometimes fixed Outlook issues....you can Google that and see the exact procedure if you want to try it.

3. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Weird, thanks for the suggestion I'll check this out.

4. rustymac73 macrumors newbie

hi i have the same problem.
    my outlook just wont open. its real frustrating. i upgraded safari to but no luck.
    busy downloading update combo, lets wait + see if that fixes it.

5. hcmitchellr macrumors newbie

You know, I was just about to post this.

I work for a major corp that decided last year to become a Mac-PC hybrid company. When the lease is up on a users computer, they are given the option of a PC or MAC.

I thought this was great as I too use both and happen to be one of the few Apple Certified techs in my area. I thought I would welcome the break in monotony of 17-years of supporting PCs and possibly force me to become as familiar with the Apple world as I am the Windows environment.

However, Microsoft Office for Mac has proven to be an outright nightmare to support (specifically Entourage and the new Outlook). Many days I believe that MS intentionally makes it crappy and is using Office to keep Macs out of the Corporate environment.

75% of my users who have the new Outlook can’t do anything after this patch. I already have 3 MacBook Pros on my desk where Outlook would no longer open (pre-patch) and at least one or two more come in every day.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

6. mykstor macrumors newbie

Mail vs Outlook for filtering to mailboxes and trash??

Thanks for your posting, hcmitchellr.

As a Mac user I've hated Microsoft with a vengeance since Day One.

I switched from Mac Mail to Outlook for Mac 2011 when I upgraded to 10.6.7. A friend told me it was easier to set up accounts on.
    I dunno. I hate them all in this regard. However...

Of late, my Outlook as taken to random quitting, commonly when I'm in the midst of composing a letter. I get this useless notice:

"Outlook had to quit because of an error." (Typical Microsoft: just "an error")

Still working on that issue.. or will dump it and move to Mac's Mail program.

I use filtering extensively to divvy up my email to numerous boxes and to trash using a lot of different criteria, including body content strings.

Can anyone tell me if Mail is either MORE or LESS flexible for filtering than Outlook for Mac 2011?
    This will weigh greatly in my decision whether to stick with Outlook or switch to Mail.

My utmost appreciation for any advice!

Oh, for @jonnysods:
    I'm also running 10.6.7 but haven't had any problems with non-functioning buttons as you mentioned. Sorry I can't assist there...
    Maybe a re-install (sigh) including the database??

Michael Storer
    Los Angeles

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

It isn't just Outlook.
    I have the Japanese version of Office, Home and Student so Outlook shouldn't work anyway (it doesn't), but the whole suite update via the Japanese dmg available on the MS web site refuses to work using Japanese input, either with ATOK or Kotoeri (third-party and Apple's input soft). Had to revert to 14.02 as 14.1 has this major clutch! :eek::mad::rolleyes: MS, did you even test this?