Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmwcnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Hey guys, first time posting here. I bought my first mac (iMac) about a week ago, and so far things have been alright with it. However, I installed Office 2011 for it, and every program except Outlook works. I have seen other people have problems with Outlook, but nothing quite like mine from what I can tell. I was hoping someone on here could help me out.

When I installed it, it ran fine and I set up all my information with my Exchange account. Unfortunately after restarting my computer though it crashes on startup, saying only that there is a problem and it can't be opened. I spent hours yesterday adding information to my calendar and really do not want to delete the user files or uninstall it for fear of losing all that work. I thought of importing the calendar in to Gmail, but I can't access anything Outlook related.

Anyone else have a solution or ideas for this? Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Jordan

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I believe support for Office 2011 is free for the first year, so I would contact Microsoft about the issue.

jmwcnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
That's the thing though.. unfortunately this isn't a paid for version. This is probably what I get for getting it from a friend right?

Just wondering if there are any fixes I can do before I have to buy it.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
If you have Exchange, that means the calendar should have done a sync with your company's Exchange server. To double check that everything you entered in the calendar transferred over to the Exchange server, just go to your webmail (Outlook Web Access, ask your company if you don't know the URL) and view the calendar. If you aren't allowed web access, just set up the Exchange account on another computer temporarily and check the calendar.

Once you're sure the calendar stuff is backed up...just try uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2011.

Here's how to uninstall Office 2011 (there's no easy uninstaller): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768

jmwcnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Reinstalling hasn't done anything, I've tried it 3 times. The calendar is saved on my Exchange account which is great news. I got this version from a friend of mine that put it on his mac, and it works perfectly. I can't figure out why it isn't agreeing with mine though.

I'm a student, and I will buy it from my school if I need to. I just prefer not to get railed with their prices if I can help it.

Thanks for the replies so far...

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Do you know what version of Exchange you are trying to sync with? Outlook 2011 for the Mac only support Exchange 2007/2010 it does not support versions earlier then that, so it won't work with 2000 or 2003 versions of Exchange.

jmwcnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
My college just switched over to Exchange and Gmail so I believe it would be a relatively new version...

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Well I have absolutely no issues configuring Outlook 2011 to talk to my Exchange 2010 server at all. Are you getting any kind of error message when Outlook crashes?

jmwcnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Nope, just says there was a problem and Outlook cannot be opened. I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it... It's working now, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.