Outlook 2011 not working on OS X lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ravi999, Sep 30, 2011.

1. ravi999 macrumors newbie

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help,

this is my frist mac and im having a few problems with configuring outlook 2011 on it. im using the correct imap settings and all my credentials are ok because i used the exact same ones when i was using the windows version of outlook. and i keep getting this same error

"The server for account "Qmul" returned the error "Login only available under a layer." Your username/password or security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?"

i know its not my credentials since they have worked in windows outlook and its not the server because i even tried to configure my personal yahoo account on it and it still wont work.

has anyone had any luck with this?
    Thanks

Ravi

2. rcorai macrumors member

rcorai

I'm using this without any problem. Post a snapshot of your settings and I will compare with mine. Hide private info. ;)

3. ravi999 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi mate, thanks iv attached the screenshot..let me know what you think

Attached Files:

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Had The Same Issue

Found a fix by being stubborn and posted it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1234060&highlight=

It requires 2 inputs of your smtp settings...It does sort of make sense as many people use different outgoing / incoming servers, but nowhere do MS tell you about it.

I don't even trust it now even though it seems to work, so run T/Bird as well

5. ravi999 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey..thanks for the tip..but unfortunately its didn't work...im still getting the same error

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Weird

But it varies from ISP to ISP, check your's for the recommended settings, alter the ports (Usually 993 incoming) and....465 (default outgoing) or 578 outgoing if that won't work.

I'm in the UK but one thing I did notice was it took a couple of close and opens of the application to nudge it's dumb Windoze way of doing thins into life!

7. ravi999 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey,

no that didnt work either, im using the recomended port that i was given but thats not working either and i had reinstalled office but thats not working either

thanks