Outlook 2011 or Mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petvas, Jul 10, 2011.

?

What is your favorite Exchange email client on Mac?

1. Outlook 2011

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Mail.app on Snow Leopard

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Mail.app on Lion

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

What is your favorite mail client? Please post only if you use Exchange Server. I really like the new Mail.app in Lion, but I am still not so sure it is better than Outlook 2011. What do you think?

2. cas85 macrumors regular

i can't wait for lion for the mail.app upgrade if nothing else. i love how it works on the iPad, and i can only assume it will be very simalir on the macbook.

3. DarkC macrumors newbie

DarkC

Sparrow

The best I've used is Sparrow! If you have gmail (supports many others too), it's just the best!

http://sparrowmailapp.com/

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Well, the thread is about the best Exchange Mail Client. Sparrow doesn't support Exchange.

5. GeekGuys macrumors regular

I had to vote for Outlook 2011 as this has better integration than Mail on SL. however, I am really disappointed with Outlook 11. After about 2 months of use, I went back to Mail.

I'd like to say Mail on Lion but no one has seen it yet so it is just wishes and speculation I guess. Well, I certainly havent seen it yet!

I like Outlook on PC and is one of the MS Office best applications IMHO but not on the Mac. It just feels like not enough effort was put into the development. I just doesn't feel slick and intuitive.

I am keen to upgrade to Lion and will see what Mail is like then.

6. notclosetofour macrumors member

I know this thread is about the specific mail components of each app, and in that case, I would probably choose the mail.app in Lion due to the easy UI and usability, but as far as functionality, you have to go with Outlook 2011. Granted, a lot of the mail features in Outlook are unnecessary for most people, but what really puts Outlook over the edge in my opinion is that it has the contacts and calendar features built right in. Having three separate apps in my opinion isn't the most efficient way of getting things done, which is what Apple is best known for. In this specific category, I must sadly admit that Microsoft wins.

7. notclosetofour macrumors member

Here is the new mail: http://www.apple.com/macosx/apps/#gallery-mcc-mail

8. interrobang macrumors 6502

First, let me say that I'm not a big fan of either Mail or Outlook (or Thunderbird, for that matter.) They all cover the basics, but they're all pretty much the same except for features.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would like this bloated, combine-everything-in-one-program approach. Not only is Outlook slower to launch than all three of Apple's apps together, it's a pain to use more than one function at a time.

If I'm in my Mail inbox and I want to check my calendar in iCal, I can do that in one click. Click iCal in the dock, boom, it's right there. One click.

If I'm in my Outlook inbox and I click on my Outlook calendar...bam, my inbox is gone. If I click back to my inbox...bam, my calendar is gone. To see both at once, you have to first open a second "main window," which requires a trip up to the menu bar, then down a sub menu. Then you have to change the new window to Calendar view. And of course, the two Main windows are huge, so even when you have them both open, it's hard to see them both at the same time.

"Integrated" and "all-in-one" are cool-sounding buzzwords, but they don't translate to productivity.

My Mac is not an iPad. I have a multitasking OS and a big screen, so there's no reason not to use separate apps for separate functions.

9. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I prefer Outlook 11 simply because it has more functions though I wished it would sync to mobileme like Outlook 2010 does.

I would suggest Thunderbird as a good alternative.

10. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I like having all functions integrated in one app. I prefer the way Outlook handles it but I still use the native Lion apps, because I like the GUI more.

11. Ravemania macrumors newbie

I've tried all three: Outlook 2010 via Parallels, Outlook 2011 and Mail 5. Currently use Mail 5 (and Outlook 2010 on the occasional times I use Parallels or when I want to retrieve deleted items)

I must admit Outlook 2010 on Windows works just perfect - it's the small stuff: ability to retrieve deleted mails, not having to adjust font size to ensure mails can be viewed normally in other windows machines, opening file links on the windows server, level of details on contact cards.......

That said, I'm switching back from Mail 5 to Outlook 2011. Perhaps Outlook is slower to open than the 3 Mac applications, but I open Outlook once a day (if that) so speed doesn't matter. I've lived with one window for mail/calendar/contacts/memos (re interrobang's comment) having used Outlook on Windows for a very long time, so I'm fine with that. It just seems to me that Outlook syncs faster than Mail 5 on my sherweb exchange server account...I could be wrong but that's my 2 cents worth.

12. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

I had been using Mac Mail/ iCal/ Address book because I prefer the UI, but had to switch back to Outlook recently. The pros and cons as part of my workflow (YMMV):

Mac apps:
    • iCal doesn't do shared accounts and delegation that well- it is in there in some small way, but for example, I can't see the Rooms for booking conference rooms,
    • There are certain types of contacts on our Global list that I can't invite to meetings through iCal,
    • Mail inbox doesn't has a few missing things I like - e.g. dividing received mail into 'today', 'yesterday', 'last week' etc which makes scanning emails quickly much easier,
    • Tasks view in iCal a bit messy and confusing to use
    • I don't like notes/ tasks being stored in the Mail app

Outlook:
    • Not that robust and crashes a lot - have done lots of database rebuilding,
    • Slow
    • Have to keep my other Exchange account and MobileMe account separate in Mail/iCal as it crashes even more frequently with multiple accounts,
    • Calendar not quite so easy to use when you have delegate's calendars added as it doesn't do colour coding
    • For some reason, can't search Global address list - no way to look through contacts, they just appear when writing emails as a quick address - very annoying.