Outlook 2011 Problems: Not Reaching Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by webitorgal, Dec 17, 2013.

1. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

...anyone else having this problem? I've had a few issues like this prior to upgrading to Mavericks, but since the upgrade, it's been happening more frequently. When Outlook DOES reach the server, I'm getting emails that have been downloaded previously re-downloaded. I tend to keep emails on the server for three or four months, so I'm now getting emails that I received back in August again. I am not on Exchange.

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Are you POP or IMAP?

Have you tested in a new Identity?

If it's POP, Outlook will download all messages left on the server again, but your best option is to move to IMAP.

3. Robokam macrumors newbie

Same thing is happening to me. I use Outlook 2011 for my hotmail/outlook/live e-mail accounts and have been getting errors trying to connect. I've had it say it needed to download my messages again and then I thought it was okay but then it does it again. The issue I have now is it takes a long time to connect and sometimes I don't get my e-mails. They are both Microsoft products that don't seem to work well together anymore.

4. webitorgal thread starter macrumors regular

webitorgal

POP. I tried a new identity and it's happening again.

5. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Just because they are both Microsoft products they aren't designed to work together.

Outlook.com is meant to be a browser option for users. While you can download into any email client it's not designed to sync anything other than messages.

----------

A new Identity does not know what messages have been downloaded for a POP account. It will auto download everything on the server in a new Identity.

In the future you can still get duplicates if Outlook looses the ID assigned to the messages you have download or if the server is reset and all IDs are reassigned.

You won't get duplicates if you use IMAP.

6. webitorgal thread starter macrumors regular

webitorgal

I think there are issues connecting to the server no matter what. I'm always getting error messages with my Gmail, too. My Gmail is IMAP.