Outlook 2011 problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by petrucci666, Dec 5, 2010.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I know I'm not the first one to have problems with Outlook for Mac but I find it more functional than Apple's native 'Mail' app plus I use the PC version of Outlook at work so I'm used to it.

Anyway, I'm having some pretty serious problems that I need to fix.

1. I still use my college email account to stay in touch with teachers, my coach etc. and the college uses the Outlook Web App. You'd think that a Microsoft Web email client would work with a Microsoft computer application. Wrong.

There is no mistake with the incoming or outgoing servers because it worked for a day or so. And then yesterday, out of the blue, it just stopped syncing and displayed this message:

"Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods."

I don't get it! It worked for a day, Outlook downloaded all of the messages I had in that account and everything was fine, so I left it at that. But all of a sudden it's giving me errors. What could this be or how can I fix it?

2. I tried syncing my 'Address Book' contacts with the Outlook contacts and even though that was pretty tricky to achieve, I managed to import all of the contacts into Outlook. And then again, out of the blue, I have no more contacts in the Contacts pane and I can't add any contacts!

What is up with all these issues?! I know it's Microsoft for God's sake but I have a feeling Office for Mac 2008 is a beast compared to the basic functionality flaws of its 2011 counterpart.

Thanks for any help!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your post includes a lot of fallacies based on false assumptions. That said, Outlook 2011 is Entourage [2008] EWS with a new name. Like Entourage EWS, Outlook 2011 will work with POP3, IMAP, and Exchange 2007 or newer. If your school is like mine and uses an older version of Exchange Server, then you can access it via IMAP assuming that IMAP is enabled. You may also use the Outlook Web Access webmail client. Under no circumstances, however, can you access an older version of Exchange using Outlook 2011's Exchange protocols.

3. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Regardless of what fallacies were made, it still doesn't explain the fact why it would work perfectly one day and then the other day it would stop working when nothing was changed in the preferences?

4. dorito89 macrumors newbie

Did you ever solve this problem? The same thing happened to me. I got office for mac 2011, I configured my gmail first (so it was the default), and everything was fine with that. Then i spent all day trying to configure exchange 2007 at work, and it wouldn't work. I deleted my gmail account from outlook, and THEN exchange worked, which was completely bizarre. I unplugged myself from the network at work, I came home, and then when i came in the next day, I tried to connect again. Outlook won't recognize my exchange account anymore! I even tried deleting it and reconfiguring it, and nothing!

5. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I managed to get all of it work but I'm still having problems syncing contacts from Address Book.

So, I have two emails. One is gmail and the other one is college email via Microsoft's Outlook Web App.

My Gmail is setup as an IMAP account and it's worked normally since day 1 and my college email is setup as an Exchange account.

I talked to the IT team at school and they said "Set it up as an IMAP account etc." but they were wrong and I just messed around with the settings and got it work.

I'm pretty disappointed with this PoS Microsoft made for the Mac.

I can't get the contacts from my Address Book into Outlook. I just can't get it to work. Not my gmail contacts, not my college email contacts, not my Address Book contacts.

Sync Services are turned on in Outlook, everything is the way it's supposed to be and nothing. I'm appalled by the lack of SIMPLE functionality. I'd rather wait another year for the new Office for Mac, and instead we now have a crippled Office suite and we need to wait another 2-3 years for the new one. Bravo Microsoft! An email client that can't work with email!

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

More false assumptions. You may have changed nothing on your end, but that does not mean that your Exchange administrator did not change things on the server side.

7. stoutdog101 macrumors member

Because I've had the same issue: Go to Preferences, General, uncheck "Hide On My Computer Folders."

Outlook considers your Address Book contacts to be on "My Computer", so hiding the extra "My Computer" hides the contacts as well. You have to either live with the extra inbox or without the contacts. Dumb, but it is what it is.