Outlook 2011 refuses to save with .JPG file extension

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by occamsrazor, Jul 13, 2012.

1. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

If I receive a JPEG image file as an attachment to an email in Outlook 2011, when I try to save the attached image to my hard drive I get the following warning:

"You cannot save this document with extension ".jpg" at the end of the name. The required extension is ".jpeg"

Basically it refuses to allow any saving of .jpg files with that file extension. You can save as ".jpg.jpeg" or as ".jpeg" but you cannot save as a ".jpg" even if that is the file extension of the attachment. See attached screenshot.

Running 10.7.4 and latest Outlook, though the problem has persisted through previous versions. There was a thread on the Microsoft forum with similar, and no resolution:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ice-2011/261b71b2-ce4b-47b4-b48a-271e65238f9b

Anyone else had this problem? Found a solution?

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not just save it with a .jpeg extension?

3. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Well yeah, that's what you are forced to do. But it means you get a pop-up window with that dialog and are forced to press one of its buttons every time you want to save such an attachment.
    I receive dozens of such emails requiring saving of images each day. It gets very annoying and slows down my workflow. The question is, why and what is the point of it doing this? .JPG is a perfectly valid file extension. Seems to me it is a bug, as I can't think of any valid reason for it to do this.

4. sethglass macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue. This just started happening within the last week or two. I'm on OS X 10.6.8 and using Outlook for Mac 2011.

5. sethglass macrumors newbie

occamsrazor, any luck with this?

I just noticed that if I save multiple images, Outlook doesn't prompt me to save them as .jpeg. It only does it for single images. Is this the same case for you?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Outlook for Mac is just full of bugs like this....Just check the official MS Otlook support pages.

In addition to the OP's issue, it

Randomly changes fonts in email

Sometimes works with imap, sometimes won't

And many other problems I encountered before I just gave up on it completely. I now use Thunderbird for one reason only...It supports read reciepts which no other client will. I only need them for communication with my GP, and they are not a guarantee of mail actually being read, but it works with them.

I bought 2 licenses for Office for Mac, and now only use Word. I doubt they will ever fix it properly.