Outlook 2011 - Stop Account from Syncing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CoMoMacUser, Jul 22, 2013.

1. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Some of my clients give me an email account with their domain. I recently stopped working with one of them, so my credentials no longer are valid. I don't want to delete that account in Outlook in case I ever need those messages one day and in case I resume working for them.

How can I stop Outlook from trying to sync that account? I tried changing the schedule, but Outlook still syncs it and all of my other accounts every 7 minutes. It's annoying to have the Outlook icon bouncing out of the dock.

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

If the account is either IMAP or Exchange, simply Move the messages to a folder under "On My Computer". Delete account after moving.

3. CoMoMacUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. It uses IMAP (Gmail). So can I just drag the folder in Outlook onto my desktop?

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

You can drag a folder to the Desktop as .mbox file. Be sure it's less than 2GB or all the messages will not be exported. This is usually between 6000-10,000 messages depending on attachments. I have seen it much less if there are lots of big attachments.

"On My Computer" is used in Outlook's folder list to indicate the messages are in Outlook only and not on a server like IMAP or Exchange. If you don't see "On My Computer", check Preferences > General and uncheck "Hide On My Computer folders.

Exporting as .mbox will allow you to save the messages if needed but they would not be accessible unless you imported into Outlook, Mail or other email client.

Even if you save under "On My Computer" folders in Outlook, also saving the .mbox file will assure these messages would not be lost if your Outlook Identity was corrupted and failed to rebuild.

5. CoMoMacUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I don't see "On My Computer" on the left, although I could have sworn I'd seen it there before. In Preferences, that box was already unchecked. Unfortunately checking it and unchecking it didn't cause "On My Computer" to appear.

Unless there's another option, I'm going to have to delete the account and lose the messages. The log-in prompt pops up so frequently that it's rendered Outlook unusable, and I need to get on with my life.

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Maybe create a new Office / Outlook Identity, migrate your other email account/s over to the new identity and then set that to be your default identity?

Seems like that would allow you to keep the old client's IMAP account active in a dormant identity. If you ever need to dig through it you could always switch over to it or migrate your other accounts back to it.

7. SparkyCanada macrumors member

I too would like to stop the syncing of an Outlook account.

My reasoning is that I use my laptop at work & home. When at work I am behind a firewall and Outlook works as expected. When I get home - it tries to sync my work account - but can't.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks,

SparkyCanada

8. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Add a POP account and "On My Computer" will show up.

----------

At home you'll have to open the Account then click on Advanced > Server. Set to 999 minutes or higher. This way it won't connect while you are at home.

9. SparkyCanada macrumors member

I don't see an option to select minutes...

SparkyCanada

10. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

If it's Exchange there is no option to select minutes. Only IMAP will allow you to set to a longer period in Accounts. POP is set in Schedules.

11. SparkyCanada macrumors member

You are correct - it is Exchange...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

SparkyCanada

12. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Create an Identity without the Exchange account with only your home account. If it's POP then you won't be happy with the results when you switch back to your main Identity.

You might consider using Apple Mail for the personal account and Outlook for work only. Mail is more stable for POP accounts and any data stored under "On My Computer" folders.