Outlook 2011 too slow..going back to Mail/iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PKGuy323, Nov 6, 2010.

1. PKGuy323 macrumors newbie

Ok, I sipped the M$ Kool-Aid because all I've wanted is Outlook. I love the all-in-one interface of Mail/Calendar/Tasks/Contacts, etc.

However....

Outlook is TOO SLOW. Downloading new mail...SLOW. Downloading mail from my GMail initially....SLOW(Took all night to download 6,000 emails. Send/Receive mail...SLOW. Downloading email with attachments...SLOWER. Clicking from one mail account to another...SLOW.

Sure, maybe an update will correct this....I hope. But the speed and response of things within Outlook are too slow to make it a usable app.

I'm running OS X 10.6.4 on a Duo Core 2 MacBook Pro. Nothing else app-wise runs this slow. I reinstalled Safari, I even re-formatted and reinstalled OX X 10.6.4 in a non-Time MAchine restore in hopes that something was slowing it down. Nope. What a waste of time.

Oh well, back to Mail/iCal.

Your experiences?

2. MicroMacTosh macrumors member

Mail/iCal are not professional apps for pros - has Apple offered an alternative to Outlook ever ? Nope.

Do the right thing bro, and upgrade to 4 GB RAM at least.

3. PKGuy323 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have 4 GB ram. Yes, the Outlook does feel more "pro" but it's so doggone slow. In Mail, I got an email 10 minutes ago that Outlook just got and they are both set to check every minute.

It's going to take an update to address to speed before I try it again.

4. MicroMacTosh macrumors member

to be honest, I just bought Office 2011 the day before yesterday and still learning the ropes.

Just started playing with Outlook today (added a POP email account), will see how it is .. there's still some things I can't figure out how to do in outlook.

I've been using Thunderbird for most of my e-mail, and it's easy to make e-mail aliases.

Can't seem to find the settings to make e-mail aliases in Outlook , know how ? also, where is the option for return receipt ?

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Outlook 2011 works great for me. Everyone in our office upgraded and only one person has this very slow connectivity (We are all connected to Exchange 2007). No has been able to resolve his problem. His mailbox is about 600MB. Mine is over 1.2GB with 8K in msgs in the in-box alone and have no issues. I also sync MobileMe and Gmail using iMap and they are just as fast.

The integrated calendar and contacts are the main reasons we move to Outlook. Also better shared calendar integration with Exchange in Outlook.

This is his model info:

Model Name:****MacBook Pro
    **Model Identifier:****MacBookPro6,2
    **Processor Name:****Intel Core i5
    **Processor Speed:****2.4 GHz
    **Number Of Processors:****1
    **Total Number Of Cores:****2
    **L2 Cache (per core):****256 KB
    **L3 Cache:****3 MB
    **Memory:****4 GB
    **Processor Interconnect Speed:****4.8 GT/s
    **Boot ROM Version:****MBP61.0057.B0C

If you figure this out please post a solution (as will I if we find one).

Cheers,

6. hmellouli macrumors newbie

I have 8 gigs, and outlook is very unresponsive. I do hav3 about 53000 emails, but niether outlook in windows nor apple mail ever suffered with that.

I really want to use outlook, as I have always used it until i bought my first mac, an MBP 13", in june.

7. AlliOop macrumors newbie

AlliOop

Rebuild Your Database

:)

I have been using 2011 for several months now and not a problem until now. I did recently upgraded to Lion. But still not a problem. Bound to AD. Not a problem for a week; then problems began! Got worse and worse. Kept getting the spinning wheel that would last for 30 seconds. That kept happening more frequently. Then Outlook seemed to be bogging the whole system down. I tried PRAM reset, Fix Permissions, running Mac in 32-bit. Still no good.

Then one little note from someone on MacForums helped me: Rebuild the Database. Do that by going to Applications>Microsoft Office 2011>Office>Microsoft Database Utility.

Although it took around 10 minutes the first time, I did it twice - may even do it again. The second time it took 4-5 minutes. I've typed three emails and only once did it hang for 24 seconds. Everything seems to be running much faster now, even switching from email to contacts, etc., which would make it hang, too.

Hope this sticks and hope this helps someone else.

:)

8. oranabana macrumors newbie

Outlook 2011 soooo slooooow

yes, I second that the Outlook 2011 is ultra slow. I am typing this from a brand-new Mac. Just taken out the box, started and installed Office 2011 on it. updated all (system and MS Office) and the started by setting up Gmail on it (using the IMAP protocol, imap.gmail.com, smtp.gmail.com port 587).

It starts off quite well and gets even the most recent stuff first. But then it just started to crawl. I suspect 'rebuilding the database won't do much, seeing that it has not even finished building a database in the first place.

for the last few hours its been going through the motions and has managed to get 2500 odd emails of the 12000 or so I have (both Inbox and Sent Mail).

I find that whenever it has been going for a while, it gets to a point, where Outlook appears to get stuck somewhat. It just sits there saying getting new messages z of xxxx, but z does not change any longer. I quit the damn thing and it works on getting more messages for a while until it hangs again... nice going Microsoft!

If it was not for the way it integrates calendars and contacts with emails, and the fact that I can synch it to my phone easily I would have jumped ship a long time ago.

However I fund the way how Mail relies on Address book revolting and Thunderbirds way of reformatting text at random annoying.

So, sorry folks, not a solution here, just another grumpy customer!

9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

There are so many things that could be causing your issues. Your mail server could be limited to a certain number of requests per hour? Kinda how a lot of email servers limit outgoing email to a certain number per hour and day to avoid spam sending?

What is your problem with Apple Mail using address book? I've never had a problem.

I put my personal email and work in apple mail but in Outlook, I only use my business accounts so ie use outlook in the day and apple mail after hours