Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freezekitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
so my company uses GMAIL as the provider for our email. Im not a fan of using the gmail interface and much more prefer a desktop client. Currently I've been using Outlook 2011 as my main email client since I hated how many issued I've had in Mail of mavericks.

With Yosemite out has anyone moved away from outlook 2011 to mail? I've sadly still have had to rely on google calendar as I haven't been able to find a better client for my calendar :( any suggestions?

Gratefuldad

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
San Diego, CA
I've made the switch from outlook (Office365) to the mail app for the continuity. I am still getting use to it. I haven't noticed features that I am missing out on that were in outlook. I do like outlook having the calendar integrated though and not a separate app.

Freezekitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
were you able to get the calendar from outlook to work? I use a gmail calendar and my outlook 2011 could not for some reason sync it.. is office 365 much different than outlook 2011?

Gratefuldad

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
San Diego, CA
had no issues connecting my calendar to the email address. Office365 is Microsoft's cloud based exchange. under system pref>>>internet accts under your gmail acct do you have the calendar checked?

urbanleopard

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
London, UK
Spent ages trying to get Yosemite's mail.app to connect to my Exchange server. Turned out it was forcing autodiscover by default so tricking it into allowing manual settings did it (the how-to is here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1766664/

Overall I prefer Outlook 2011 because (a) it's been flawless, (b) I can create signatures more easily, (c) I prefer all my PIM apps in one place and (d) I also have to work with PCs, so appreciate a common platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.